tuscl

Anyone doing taxes themselves without computer help?

Monday, April 13, 2009 3:03 AM
I did mine a year ago without any tax software. I do itemize but mine aren't too complicated. I didn't want to spend the money on a new pc just for taxes. This year was a bit worse due to checking on the AMT. I'm nowhere close but one little thing and the IRS forms says you need to fill out the form even though I didn't have to mail it in. I'm done with my taxes now. Anybody else done already or doing it themselves without computers?

4 comments

• Clubber
    15 years ago
    The question should be, why? To me, that would be like cooking your dinner by rubbing a couple of sticks together, or using smoke signals instead of a phone...
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    If you ask why, I guess you really don't know. Last year tax software required using new operating systems. The choice if you have an old computer was too either buy a new one or do it online. If you do it online, your risk goes up as you don't know how secure the servers are for whatever company is storing your tax information. It's true that most people aren't too concerned for the security of their personal information so I guess not too many people would be doing their taxes manually. I believe I've saved over $100 after two years doing the taxes without tax software and at least 500 or 600 dollars by not buying a new pc just to do taxes. That's another reason.
  • I don't, because I don't think mine is complicated. I just owe a hell of a lot of money. And I don't think I need a computer program or a tax advisor to tell me I owe a hell of a lot of money.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    Never had a problem with software or computers and mine are far from new. Also, the software I've used for at least 10 years is free as is the e-filing. So, my cost is ZERO.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion