tuscl

New structure they want to build in Japan...

Monday, December 29, 2008 1:43 AM
This has nothing to do with clubbing but, I wanted to get your opinions on this topic. In Japan, they want to build a structure so large that it would dwarf anything else (man made) in the world today. It's a pyrymyd shaped complex that would reach more than a mile high, or 440 floors, asuming the floors are 12 feet high. The idea behind such a building is that it will be an entire self contained city. A city with high speed elevators. A city that would hold over 750,000 people. A city with a light rail system running through it. A city where you might not need a car because you could live, work and play without ever leaving, unless you wanted to. Imagine walking out of your dwelling, and walking to your work within 8 minutes, stopping for coffee on the way. Lunchtime is a sandwich shop, again, a few minutes away. As you walk home from work, you swing by the grocery store and then fix dinner for you and yours at home. That evening, there's a movie playing that you want to see so, you go see it. Everything that day has had the convenience of not having to be stuck in traffic or not having to pay a car payment, auto insurance, auto repairs and maintenance. Whats you opinion of the concept?

9 comments

• shadowcat
    16 years ago
    I spent 1964 & 65 in Japan. One thing that you have to realizes is that Tokyo has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. The only place they have to build is up. They have 100 year mortgages that you pass onto your next of kin when you die. I would feel choked in a place like that. A Commune,if you will. I like the out of doors. I have 2/3rds of an acre that was cut out of a pine forest in GA. I enjoy the deer, squirrels, chip munks. o"possums, foxes, wild turkeys, geese, ducks, turtles,rabbits.Even the snakes. And the trees and plants. Most Japanese have more computers etc, than Americans.Because they cannot afford houses or cars. I'll take my life style. Thank you!
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    WOW! 100 year mortgages... I didn't know that.
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    That's the Shimizu pyramid. It's actually currently unbuildable, because there aren't loadbearing elements strong enough to support the height - the idea is to build it once carbon nanotubes are developed, which would allow the creation of structural materials light enough that the structure wouldn't collapse under its own weight. The nanotubes have been synthesized in laboratories for study, but large-scale manufacture isn't yet feasible. My obvious concern would be seismic stability, because a structure that size almost becomes "landscape" - but then, the Japanese are masters of earthquake-proofing. I spend a lot of time in Japan, about 2-3 months a year (I have a condo in Nagoya), and I *always* experience at least earthquake tremors when I'm there... so it's a very real concern. O.
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    My biggest concern is that it would become a target for terrorists, especailly if it were built on good ole' USA soil.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    Safety would be a big concern for me. What happens if you have a massive earthquake, a tsunami hits it, or how does the ventilation work in case of fire or if the power goes out? I wouldn't want to be trapped like a sardine in a can. I'm used to the outdoors as well. I like cool air without having big power bills because everyone around me in an apartment likes it warmer and the heat soaks in to my dwelling. That works great in the winter if you live upstairs and overhear the people downstairs wondering why their heating bill is so high. I actually had my heat set at 50 and it never turned on and didn't get any colder than 53. I wore a sweater and was fine. Until I overheard the neighbors downstairs complain. I have super hearing. One morning I was sleeping in and heard a girl moaning downstairs, uuuhhh, uuuhhhh. I would want the dwelling to have better sound barriers. It would be great to not hear birds and train whistles even though the train I hear now is sometimes a few miles away. I like it quiet but so many people are noisy. Just wait to your neighbor starts hammering on something while you're trying to sleep. I like space between me and others or hopefully live near other quiet people. Living inside a big structure might sound appealing to some but could be a nightmare in reality. I guess if your hearing is lousy and you don't mind it hot and crowded, you have it made.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    On the other hand if they offered 3D holograhic tv free with each dwelling, I might say where do I sign up? I thought 15 to 20 years ago, we would all have 3D holographic tv by now. It must have hit a snag somewhere.
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    casualguy... Back to the future part 2 said we would have flying cars by the year 2015. That's a little more than six years from now. I doubt it's going to happen.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    The real question to ask... On which floor is the Strip Club?
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    Clubber... there should be more than just one.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion