tuscl

Life in Detroit

SuperDude
Detroit, Michigan
As predicted, regulation of strip clubs is now an election year issue. From the little I can see of the web-video, some of the dancers dressed too casually for addressing the Detroit City Council in a formal legislative session. A minor style point, but these things may count when the effort is to win over middle class homeowners, politicos and church goers; however, they did make a forceful case against regulations that would drive the clubs out of business and eliminate jobs. It's easy for church pastors to pick on "sinful" strip clubs as a way of building support for their poltical agenda. Detroit is broke and on the verge of killing its barely viable entertainment industry.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090922/…

9 comments

• SuperDude
    15 years ago
    And then Time Magazine weighed in.
  • Drippy
    15 years ago
    SuperDude you are correct that this is about the City of Detroit and not the burbs. Here's a link to the Detroit News where you can vote Yes or No on new regulations and post a comment. The voting results so far are strongly in favor of NOT regulating SCs. The people have spoken!

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/forums/news…
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    At least one editorial writer says leave the Detroit clubs alone.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090923/BL…
  • slickpeter
    15 years ago
    Remember what is going on with the city council only applies to clubs located IN the City of Detroit! The suburbab cubs would not be affected with the rules and regulations ----- I am just so glad that Hamilton has kept his empire located in the western burbs - long live his clubs in Inkster and Southgate -- might as well close the one in Van Buren Twp (John's Hot Spot - they are already operating under many dictates of the local government).

Back to Detroit - the do gooders are looking at closing the only viable and growing business in the city - clubs in the city now employ over6,700 people and contribute over $3,000,000 in property taxes to the city - would they really kill the golden goose?

Just my three cents worth!
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    I wonder how much of that "entertainment industry" would relocate to Craig's List? Or Windsor?
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    This is not the first time this issue has come up. It seems to heat up around election time because it's easy to be against "sin" instead of fixing what's really wrong with Detroit. Usually, some poorly drafted ordinance is passed and then challenged in court on First Amendment grounds. After a protracted legal struggle, club owners and cops reach some understandings and enforcement is ignored, for a price. An occasional raid keeps the community mollified. And when the next election cycle comes around it starts up again. A city council dominated 7-2 women over men is predictably opposed to strip clubs. The ratio and personalities will change with this election and we will see if the outgoing council will pass an ordinance or leave it until the new council takes office in January. The leading candidate, who automatically becomes council president, is a former news broadcaster who is openly gay.
  • Drippy
    15 years ago
    Dude, I heard some of this on the radio news today--I'm in Detroit on business. The regulations would require dancers to only work on stage, maintain 6' distance from customers and would make LDs illegal. This would mean dancers could not sit close to customers.

Is this just election year posturing? Or will this get through? How about other Detroiters, have you heard anything more?

BTW: I visited Penthouse and Playhouse on this trip. I'm very happy!
  • stripclubspy
    15 years ago
    Thanks for the updates, guys. I live in the Detroit area and have heard rumors about this, so I was glad to have the links to articles.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Interesting article. Even better is they gave us a nice shot of the girl's backside while she was addressing the court. I would like to get a LD from her!

Clubs can still do OK without VIP rooms. Mons Venus is one example.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion