tuscl

Member rating puzzle

Friday, November 28, 2008 1:51 AM
Before I explain my puzzle I want to say that TUSCL is my favorite site and I continue to find it full of amazing and useful information. I am puzzled about the so-called "member rating" box in the overall club evaluation section. In at least some cases, this number has no apparent connection with the actual ratings posted in member reviews. Two examples will show what I mean: Boss Hoggs, Gulfport IL has a "member rating" of 1.98. There are six scores in the member reviews, between the dates of December 007, and 2004. They are 2, 6, 7, 8, 8, 7, which average out to 6.33. Fantasy Plaza North, Houston TX has a "member rating" of 2.07. The dates range from Aug 08, to 2004. The posted scores are 7.3, 8.7, 7, 1 8, 7, 6, 9, 6, averaging 6.7 Founder must have some reason for posting the numbers he does, and labeling them as he does. I think he posted a message some time ago saying that his algorithm is proprietary information. But nevertheless I am puzzled. Any comments from Founder or other members?

6 comments

• arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    In my list of scores for Fantasy Plaza North there should have been a comma between the 1 and the 8. Sorry about that.
  • founder
    16 years ago
    Without looking at the clubs you mentioned, I will start by saying that we only look at the past 2 years when figuring ratings. There are other factors as well, but they are secrets :)
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    One of those secrets is to not throw out all old reviews from clubs with only a few reviews. Sorry F.
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    arebeeguy If you pull up my favorite club you will see that it has 167 reviews but that is after Founder has down his house cleaning. He has removed reviews older than 2 years. Actual total count on my page is 544. For active clubs, anything over two years old is pretty much useless but for small clubs with only 5 or 6 reviews, every little bit helps us.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    Where is this so-called "member rating" box in the overall club evaluation section? I click on club reviews but I don't see anything. Am I missing something because I'm using an older browser with Firefox? Is the overall club evaluation section in the club reviews section?
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    C'mon casualguy grab your ears and pull. It is on the third line of the far left column. lol...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion