tuscl

50/50 Club

Did y’all ever think you’d see a baseball player hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases? Your lucky if you get one guy who does even just one of those in a season. And oh btw he’s like an ace pitcher too. This dude Shohei Ohtani is fucking amazing.

14 comments

• misterorange
    13 days ago
    Muddy, you're not wrong. But no way Ohtani's interpreter "stole" $4.5 million from him to cover gambling debts. If Pete Rose isn't reinstated, this guy needs to be kicked out.
  • IWantHerOnMe
    13 days ago
    No but once they made the base bigger it’s not to surprising it happened
  • magicrat
    13 days ago
    Most of the stolen bases I've seen have not been particularly close and I watch most of the Dodgers games. Plus only one other player has 50 sbs in MLB this year so I don't understand trying to minimize his accomplishment.
  • whodey
    13 days ago
    At one point in the 90s I thought that either Bonds or ARod had a chance when they both had 40/40 seasons just a couple of years apart but then they both moved more towards power and less speed. I think Acunà and De La Cruz both have the skill to make a run at 50/50 over the next couple of years, but I imagine both will come up short in one category or the other.

Ohtani is really something special to watch on the field, but I'm not buying the story about the interpreter and gambling. I don't know for sure that he gambled, but MLB should've run a full investigation like they did with Dowd's investigation of Pete Rose's gambling to find out for sure instead of that abbreviated one they ran.
  • motorhead
    13 days ago
    I can remember when the 30/30 club was a big deal.

But it doesn’t sit right me with that MLB is basically sweeping the gambling incident under the rug to protect their Golden Boy
  • IWantHerOnMe
    13 days ago
    @magicrat I'm not trying to minimize it just contextualize it. Every era has its advantages they didn't used to have night games for example. The fact that most of the SBs were close kinda goes to my point. Less pickoffs are allowed. Its just the era.
    13 days ago
    The stolen bases are impressive but wouldn't have happened 2 years ago. SBs are up significantly given the larger bases and limits on pick off attempts and stepping off the rubber.
  • twentyfive
    12 days ago
    I find it impressive, but you have to note that even though a superstar like Ohtani, probably would have been great in any era, the dilution of talent in todays sports, makes it more likely that those considered superstars will have greater results than historical norms because that same dilution is in effect for the defensive players as for the offensive players. Not to take something as momentous as the 50/50 record achievement away from such an obviously great player.
    I say congratulations to Shohei Ohtani, and well deserved.
  • rattdog
    12 days ago
    i wasn't even aware that the league limited the amount of pickoff attempts, which i actually support. for me as a prime painful example, david cone would seem like he would throw more balls to first base than actual pitches. and i never saw him pick anybody off throughout his career. more sb attempts and reducing pickoffs is the right way to go to make the games more entertaining.

sure there is a double standard regarding the ohtani gambling issue. shit if i was a .220 hitter who barely hit 10 homeruns and supposedly gambled a fraction of what ohtani supposedly pissed away then yeah i would be banned for life. perhaps the league showed leniency in that ohtani really sucks at gambling. just throwing that theory out there.
  • rattdog
    12 days ago

dilution of talent? no way. if anything today's players are the most skilled. barring injuries they're stronger, faster in athleticism and reaction time, and have to hit against specialized middle relievers that torch radar guns. their IQ levels you can no doubt question as even some of the all-stars suck at executing some the basics on the field defensively and couldn't or maybe ordered to not to the opposite side against the now banned defensive infield shift.
  • Hank Moody
    12 days ago
    Ohtani stole 26 bases in his best year and was caught 10 times. This year he’s stolen 51 and been caught 4 times, among the best ever for efficiency. Yeah, the rule changes helped but it’s good to see a guy in the first year of a 10 year $700 million contract dedicating himself to working on his game and getting better.

I don’t know if he risks his stands stealing bases next year when he returns to pitching, so enjoy this season for what it is. We may never see it again for a long time.

Oh yeah, his stat line last night going into the game was 48 hr/49 sb’s. He went 6-6, 3 homers, 2 steals and 10 RBI’s. And the dodgers clinched a playoff spot as well. Helluva night.
  • Hank Moody
    12 days ago
    … risks his HANDS next year…

Where’s the damn edit button?
  • twentyfive
    12 days ago
    @rattdog
    If you’re talking about training and technique yes today’s athletes will be much better trained and fitter than the athletes from the past but if we’re talking pure talent, the percentages will show that with the increase in league teams the number of players have increased significantly and in larger percentages than the overall population increases, so by definition the talent has diluted. You’re right about athleticism and training having increased, but historically the superior talent remains the same percentage throughout time. Head back in time to the early years of sports leagues and look at the actual numbers you’ll find the percentage remaining constant, even as the supporting cast (less talented players) have increased their stats, yet there are still relatively few players that attain the level of a Shohei Ohtani
  • Mate27
    12 days ago
    Time is ripe for fall baseball and playoff races! It’s when I start watching the game instead of the headlines.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion