tuscl

unpopular opinion/rant

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
The latest job market news is that while many hundreds of thousands fewer jobs than were initially reported were created, unemployment is still trending down. I have a non-partisan theory about why that is. The idiots that dwelt at the bottom of the barrel are finally getting hired. Anyone who already had a modicum of ability and common sense is already employed.

The stupidity I have to deal with at physicians' offices, the banks, calling customer service, getting a haircut, the grocery store, and with the entry level new hires in my own business is aggravating beyond description. Twice in as many weeks, I have called the HR manager into my office find out exactly where the hell he and our recruiter are finding these idiots. He has shown me the applications, resumes (when they're submitted), interview notes and reference calls for some of these employees I have wanted to throttle and they really are the best of what's left. I have provided written fucking instructions with boldface type and underlines on the most important parts of the instructions and they are not followed. I get tired of the incompetence and lack and urgency and source documents and generate reports myself, only to have the clerical and admin staff I asked to do it proudly send me the reports hours after I have finished reading them. It is consistently the zoomer generation and a couple of late millennials. We don't even hire boomers, they lack the technological savvy for an office which uses as little paper as possible. Generation X is the prime mix of experience and talent, but I cannot have an office full of mid-career to senior staffers. We have tried shadowing, mentoring, knee-to-knee training, sandbox technology training and evaluations, and the newest crop of workers cannot get it.

The most plausible explanation I have heard is "popcorn brain" their minds are so programmed by tiktok and instagram shorts that they cannot focus long enough to read and comprehend a complete set of written instructions or focus on training enough to learn. They have to spoon fed in bite size increments. They want to train from home, instead of in the office. Our society has really failed in raising the Zoomer generation. Masks and remote learning has not prepared them for the workplace. They will be led by the next generation of elites because so few of them are able to function as autonomous and empowered individual adults.

15 comments

• Icey
    9 days ago
    I agree with this. People are completely inept and its a pain dealing with them.

Employees fuck up the smallest most simple instructions and dint get that its costing money
  • twentyfive
    9 days ago
    Before I retired and sold my business we had many excellent employees, sounds to me like you don’t know how to manage your employees. If you hire good people and train them well, they’ll succeed, if you’re too lazy to manage them properly it’s on you.
  • rattdog
    9 days ago
    ^when did you retire?
  • twentyfive
    9 days ago
    ^ 4 years ago in 2020
  • WiseToo
    9 days ago
    Just today, I ordered a breakfast item and coffee at a fast food restaurant. The total came to $6.04 and I gave the clerk $10.04. She accidentally entered $20.04 and the register calculated the change to be $14.00. She realized her mistake and apologized for the error, but she couldn't determine the correct change and had to ask for help.

The other day I got a coffee at a different take out restaurant and asked for two creamers and two splendas on the side. I got the coffee and the clerk gave me three creamers and two sugar packets.

Apparently, the help today can't concentrate for more than a few seconds.
  • rattdog
    9 days ago
    so the cash register does all the work and she still winds up getting confused. god forbid if you threw a dollar to the pile to get back your 10 plus a 5 spot. her fucking head would've exploded.
  • sinclair
    9 days ago
    I think nowadays there are large amounts of people with ADHD and social anxiety. They can't concentrate for twenty seconds. They don't know how to effectively communicate and build relationships with others. It is more prevalent among the younger generations, but I've seen it in plenty of the later Boomers as well.

I think there are also alot of people who lie on their resumes. DEI contributes to inefficiency and incompetency. What really bothers me are people who are in high paid positions and cannot even spell.
  • Icey
    9 days ago
    I think a lot of it comes down to smoking weed just to get through the day. Work is jaut something people do for money. They dont care.
  • Icey
    9 days ago
    My problem is when you actually put them on and they're too fucked ip to get ut
  • gammanu95
    9 days ago
    @wisetoo: I do not even flinch when a cashier gets my change wrong or flustered if they mis-key. It's as commonplace as someone gunning it through a yellow light or thinking that tailgating is normal driving.

@sinclair: DEI really is the primary driver of organizational failure at the highest levels. We see this in government and private organizations, but it is only when grassroots movement call it out that woke executives reverse course to avoid the backlash.

@25: your obsession with me is really pathetic. You keep showing everyone how petty and vindictive you are and showing your small penis syndrome. I will leave you with what Brittany Mahomes said to people who trolled her online, ""I mean honestly, To be a hater as an adult, you have to have some deep rooted issues you refuse to heal from childhood.. There's no reason your brain is fully developed and you hate to see others doing well." And, "Contrary to the tone of the world today….you can disagree with someone, and still love them. You can have differing views, and still be kind, Read that again!" Some Zoomers do have their heads on straight.
  • twentyfive
    9 days ago
    ^ Weirdo
  • iknowbetter
    8 days ago
    This post sounds like a lot of grouchy old man grumbling about how stupid the younger people are these days. It would be sad if it wasn’t so true.

I can remember my dad saying these things 40 years ago, and complaining about clerks not being able to make change. Just remember, this is who’s going to be paying your social security.
  • rattdog
    8 days ago
    there shouldn't be an excuse nowadays. the machines do all work-no mental gymnastics required anymore.

back in the 70's at 10-11 years old i would work the restaurant cash register while my mother would sit behind me and yap on the phone for over an hour. the register was one of those old big ass ones you still might find at some watering hole. if someone ordered take out i had to total the menu cost, find then add the 8% tax charge from the tax chart, total the bill and then make change. in 2024 today you don't have to do all that shit anymore. just enter the costs and give out the change as posted on the register screen.
  • rickthelion
    8 days ago
    This rick normally doesn’t comment on political threads on the “political discourse” board because…what’s the frickin’ point of doing that?

However, this gamma ape post has set off my lion-y bullshit detector. Now, I don’t really know what gamma ape actually does so maybe this shit makes sense in some context…who the fuck knows?

Anyhoo…I want to point out the meat of gamma ape’s complaint ‘bout everybody that, y’know, isn’t gamma ape:

Gamma ape sez => I get tired of the incompetence and lack and urgency and source documents and generate reports myself, only to have the clerical and admin staff I asked to do it proudly send me the reports hours after I have finished reading them.

Let’s ignore the somewhat nonsensical language and just read that as “I get tired that reports have not been generated when I want them so I generate them myself. Then I get the report a few hours later.”

So…you didn’t tell the employees tasked with generating said reports that they were complete so they could move on to other tasks? Seems rather inefficient to this lion!

I could go on and point out other hinky statements, but this whole rant seems a bit implausible. Kinda like gamma ape just wanted an excuse to bitch about zoomers while he was sitting at his desk trying to figure out how to open a pdf.

And, for the record, this rick know how to open a pdf. I say “hey you frickin’ wildebeest, open this pdf for me or you’re gonna regret not following my rick instructions…my rickstructions, if you will…yeah, you better laugh at my rick joke or Imma go all wildebeest on your ass. ROAR!!!”
  • mogul1985
    8 days ago
    A minimum requirement test for a basic cashier: be able to make change without a cash register or calculator. How hard is it to count backwards?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion