tuscl

So how do you handle this?

Semi-viral video this week emerged of what appears to be a mentally disturbed black man racially insulting and verbally harassing a white couple and their small child on the New York subway.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/just-get-…

The couple did its best to ignore the guy, but many commenters seem to think the father should have stood up to the guy or even got into a fight with him. I think the couple did the right thing. Yes when the guy moved toward the couple and the child, the father started to stand up. The guy semi-backed off. I think that was the right way to handle it.

Considering the guy didn't actually touch any of them or make an actual threat, if the dad had done anything he would be the one facing serious charges for obvious reasons we don't need to go into. Racial activists on line and law enforcement at all levels would be accusing him of being the one in the wrong and a "racist."

Further, escalating the situation was the last thing needed by the family or their child. It could have led to more serious harm coming to them.

Putting the racial aspect aside, what is the best way to handle verbal harsssment and intimidating, though not necessarily specifically threatening, behavior on public transit or anywhere these days?

I think not escalating was the right thing to do in this case for a number of reasons though obviously that can be considered weak or cowardly. Not an easy decision how to handle it. Unfortunately these kind of incidents with mental cases and just plain angry people are increasingly all too common in our society as it continues to socially break down and norms of behavior continue to weaken. This will only get worse over time.

14 comments

• Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    When I was younger I would have definitely said something back, even if he was bigger than me (unless he was way too much bigger lol). However if you have a child with you you need to de-escalate something like this. Also it you're of a paler hue in 2023 it wouldn't likely matter who started it.
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    I was in a McDonald’s in Chicago (in the city not the suburbs) and a similar situation. This homeless looking black guy, who also could have been mentally disturbed, walked in and began shouting racial slurs and threats towards white people. Not really anyone specific - just in general.

Me, being a big pussy, gobbled up the rest of my cheeseburger and got the hell out of there. I keep thinking though - why doesn’t videos like this make CNN and MSNBC?
  • etsutwigg222
    a year ago
    It does not make the news because it does not fit the narrative the politicians & media want in the US. They want racial tensions to keep us common people divided & focused on each other rather than their crimes.
  • bang69
    a year ago
    It's time we white people start blaming reverse racism. In no way am I trying to be a raceist. Im telling it like it is.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Those who cry racism the loudest do so while looking in a mirror.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    Infowars? People are really dumb enough to read something from that site?
  • deboinair
    a year ago
    @bang69. Reverse racism? That's comical. It's rare for black people to do anything to white people. On average most black people either go along to get along or fear white people. Especially the Christian ones. They forgive everything. Smh

My hometown Miami is pretty much the only place in the USA where that doesn't apply. I remember when people from Texas, GA, NY and Boston would visit for event. Some would be very disrespectful and talk to minorities like they did where they were from. They learned from the physical assaults that it doesn't work down here and changed their behavior.
  • rattdog
    a year ago
    the father reacted properly. in this situation you have to swallow that bitter pill. i've seen quite a few of these guys that acted like that piece of shit antagonist during my whole entire lifetime living in nyc. these people have nothing going on besides coping with heavy amounts of hate. it doesn't even have to be racism that fuels that hate. one night in the train some guy started shit with a guy with 2 girls. that guy replied with, "yeah it figures a loser like you has to start some shit. you can't even get one girlfriend." at the end those people still have to wind up continually living their shitty existence.

retaliating with hands opens up many cans of worms. if papa can't fight he gets knocked out. if papa can fight then the results could be criminal and/or civil charges and even possible loss of employment. papa in this video reacted smartly. there are some that might view him as a "pussy" but the man's main job in any type of conflict such as this is to survive.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Debonair seems like a troll. Makes up shit as well.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    I got racially harassed once on the New York subway. Empty train in lower Manhattan, late at night. Some dude and his buddy with such a strong accent I couldn't discern much other than "hey you, white boy" and "black (something or another)." I slowly looked at him once then ignored him. Nothing more happened.

I was in my mid-20s when it happened but never fancied myself a "tough" guy. Nothing to gain.

I don't look or act like a victim. I'm told I look pretty intimidating, don't bury my face in my phone or wear headphones, don't flaunt cash or jewelry, rarely dress up without a reason.

But at the rate New York is going I expect another Bernhard Goetz incident.
  • CJKent_band
    a year ago
    @Dave_Anderson

I will play along and comment on your discussion.

So how do you handle this?

I would calmly stand up and open my coat to make sure he sees my FN Browning Hi-Power Nickel plated 9x19mm tucked in my custom made black leather appendix carry holster.

King of New York - Train Scene - * Christopher Walken *

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNk92_iJb…

Problem solved.

~ Everything on this site should be considered a work of fiction.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    From everything I read, it was a Hispanic family, not white. Regardless, the husband did the smart thing by not escalating the situation. It sucked that the kid had to endure that and the parents have to explain it in a sense that the child can process and not be traumatized by.

Remember that NYC is where the DA prosecutes immigrant (Hispanic) shop owners from attacks by black criminal couples as hate crimes. It seems Bragg believes that black people cannot be racist or hate criminals.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    I agree with the non-escalaters here. This person is obviously crazy, and doubles down by being a piece of shit racist. But, he didn't touch anyone, and so it's a sticks and stones issue and the best policy is to de-escalate and not engage. If he touches the wife or kid, dad's duty is to physically deflect the guy until the family can escape. You can't provide for your family if you are dead, severely injured, or in prison, so take the high road and GTFO, however much you'd like to beat this POS for challenging you in front of your family. Of course if this happens in your home, shoot the motherfucker in the face. Guaranteed nobody will miss him. 2 cents from your neighborhood libtard.
  • deboinair
    a year ago
    @skibum609. Come to Miami and find out
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion