tuscl

The Gig Law Causing Chaos in California Strip Clubs

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, October 19, 2022 12:23 PM
Dancers can thank all of those prior dancers for the law suits over employee/contractor status which lead to the new laws. Full story: [view link]

22 comments

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    The dancers in California have to understand that this is what they voted for. They are almost all liberal as fuck and they can’t seem to put the two and two together. They can’t figure it out. At the end of the day, Democrats completely fucked up the greatest/richest/most beautiful state that America had ever seen. And it is all on them, they own this one. It really is the disaster story of our time.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Both Mississippi and Alabama are preferable to California because they're at least American. In 1973 i fell in love with California and wanted to live there for many, many years. Used to vacation there at least once a year. I have been there twice in the last 20 years because of democrats and I just day tripped to ski there and stayed in Reno.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    For all of the Cali bashers here, numerically California, actually has more registered Republicans than any other state in The United States.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Strippers are doing fine in California. Stop projecting your right wing extremism on the state.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    Twentyfive democrats outnumber republicans two to one in Calif. From Wikipedia: Total population 39.78 Million Registered voters 22,047,448 50.5% Democratic 10,170,317 46.1% Republican 5,334,323 24.2% Democratic–Republican spread +4,835,994 +21.9%
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ That’s true but it wasn’t my point.
  • Subraman
    2 years ago
    "Many clubs decided to restructure the way dancers are paid after AB 5 was introduced in 2019, taking larger cuts of the money workers earned through private dances. Dancers say that even though they are now guaranteed minimum wage, their wages dropped as a result of the new pay system and reduced hours." This has been a disaster for strippers from the beginning. I've mentioned many times, the big and obvious wave of dancer retirements and strippers moving to neighboring states to dance, as they saw Deja Vu (who actually switched to employment model a few months before it was required, and had wanted to move to this model for a while, given that it profited them at the expense of the dancers) structure the employment contracts. The girls are taking home much less, now have to follow employment rules, all in exchange for a guaranteed minimum and a half hour break. "Dancers’ unions say they are seeing a surge in interest as workers focus on finding ways to survive under a law that was never tailored for their industry"... at this point, the girls know they have to get out from AB 5, whether the unions will make things better or even worse remains to be seen. CA isn't just democratic, not all democratic run states have gone the way of CA, there's any number I'd live in -- the issue is that CA is the living petri dish of progressive ideas, and as each policy fails and with each downturn in quality of life, voters here think the solution is MORE progressive policy, not less. Minor moments of lucidity as we recall progressive DAs notwithstanding.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    twentyfive - what is your point? The most populous state has the most Republican registered voters? DUH! BTW I was born in Long Beach CA in 1942 and lived CA until 1987. I thought that it was the greatest state in the union and I have been to most of them. I now think it is the worst and haven't been back since I moved my parents out back in 1992.
  • Subraman
    2 years ago
    shadow: you would cry if what you remember is 1987 San Francisco, easily one of the best cities in the country if not the world, and come see it now.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Shadow my point was every place has problematic parts, I live in Florida, you live in Georgia, we both came from other places, you take the good with the bad, problems not withstanding most folks are able to take the good with the bad, I don’t want to go back to NY, so I accept with grace the things that make no sense and partake the things I enjoy, on the whole I find more that I like than I dislike.
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    —>“This has been a disaster for strippers from the beginning. I've mentioned many times, the big and obvious wave of dancer retirements and strippers moving to neighboring states to dance, as they saw Deja Vu (who actually switched to employment model a few months before it was required, and had wanted to move to this model for a while, given that it profited them at the expense of the dancers) structure the employment contracts. “ I wonder if Ricks Cabaret is going more in that direction too. It used to be that the top corporate level would mostly ignore how their individual clubs were run and let local areas do things how they pleased in their local areas. Now I get the impression they are taking a more active role in wanting to run the clubs from the top level. I know they are doing a lot of changes in their San Antonio clubs. And the former VCG club chain that got bought out in Denver, East St Louis, and Portland ME—RCI seems to be taking a more active role in doing changes in those clubs. And possibly also changing how they run Scarlett’s in Miami as well? Last time I was auditioning around at different clubs in Phoenix, I met some manager who wanted me to work on his dayshift at a RCI owned club. He wanted to chat and be conversational (and outright hit on me, lol) and he brought up to me that he could hire me as either a IC or employee, and he told me they actually had a few dancers working as employees in their club right now. And there was no paperwork in front of us either to spark that conversation. He just casually brought that up while we were standing in the lobby. I know they already have an employee model at a Ricks club in Minneapolis and I think they are test running it for implementing it nationwide. In the past, there have been other clubs I’ve worked at where the paperwork will officially show up as “either employee or IC”, but that was always a cursory thing and it was always clear that IC was the box you always wanted to sign. I honestly suspect there is a real shift going on with the corporate clubs right now to make more of us employees. Or maybe at least be prepared for it, idk. But as far as I know, the Deja Vu clubs outside of California will have employee as an option, but there will still be an unspoken thing where everyone is an IC.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Subraman you scour the net for right wing views on strip clubs then come here with your bs citing what you read. Like sjg and cim.
  • Subraman
    2 years ago
    Nice, it wouldn't surprise me to see the corporate chains go this way, or try to... in CA, they all had to go at once, so if one chain went employee-only to the huge detriment of the girls, the girls couldn't just all go to a different club
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    Strip clubs can just enjoy their progression just like taxi dance halls did I guess 😞
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    So, I'll say something sick, since that's my job on this site. Compare a strip club to a church. You go there to hang out with somebody, strippers or God. You don't give $ directly to God, but God doesn't talk to you or cause you to emit bodily fluids. So, in both cases, it's just a meeting place. If we as PLs could get our shit together, like the Bible-Thumpers have, then a $10 contribution each time you go should cover the meeting place. Probably more than what people throw in the collection plate at church. The strippers wouldn't be employees or IGs. They'd be getting legally tax-free gifts from those who pray at the Altar of Thirst.
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    Government usually tends to go with a "one size fits all approach". They do that to keep new laws from becoming overly complicated from having numerous exceptions added. They want a top down everyone marching together approach instead of just letting people experiment as individuals to see what they like. If they let each club decide whether they wanted to have strippers as employees or independent contractors and let the girls move where they wanted, you would soon see which model worked best.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    I think the CA clubs are just using it as an excuse to gouge even more than before. Any stripper who can't average $15/hour should be mercy fired anyway. Whatever percentage of each dance the club is taking, it should stop once they reach a per dancer limit on how much of her money they're going to take each week or month or whatever period. It's also not bad for dancers to have some on-the-books income, in order to rent housing, get loans, etc.
  • BuckMcNutter
    2 years ago
    Was this thread started because they wanted to unionize? Does that mean they want hazard pay now for FIV ))
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Taxi dance halls were voted out of existence on California. No one is legislating against clubs. They're legislating for dancers.
  • conan_mac_morna
    2 years ago
    I grew up in California in the '70s and '80s. You idiots thinking it was paradise under the GOP in general and Ronnie Raygun in particular are completely fucking delusional. SIGALERT ring any fucking bells, or did you enjoy breathing orange air and drinking olive-drab water?
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    I'll admit AB 5 is a flawed attempt at fixing a real problem. It's made it a lot harder for freelancers in a lot of industries. Like, companies shouldn't be able to just call their employees contractors. But the law isn't well written to do what it wants to do and needs reform.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    The only problem with the law is adequate enforcement. Businesses have to be kept in line coz they abuse the law too much.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion