tuscl

Football coach "fined" for political opinions

There are literally no words at this point for where this society is. My only question is how on earth is it legal to "fine" or fire someone for lawful political opinions? There must be some law this violates.

As for the opinions, um, yeah, duh. Summer 2020 was a million times worse in every conceivable way than the election intrgrity protestors walking through a building for a valid cause.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/com…

13 comments

• Dave_Anderson
    2 years ago
    Is the next step simply outright de jure banning of views that go against the media/DNC narrative?
  • wld4tatas
    2 years ago
    A coach is a leader. Smart leaders avoid making public political statements, or when they do, show sensitivity. Publicly dismissing the January 6 insurrection and violence as a "dust up" was pretty dumb.

• Tetradon
    2 years ago
    Del Rio was spot on, the damage from summer 2020 was orders of magnitude worse than January 6, but he's an at-will employee of a woke sports league.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Del Rio was 100% right. Don't pay the fine.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago

“Publicly dismissing the January 6 insurrection and violence as a "dust up" was pretty dumb”

however, in comparison to the BLM riots, it’s a pretty accurate statement

The 2020 BLM riots resulted in 15 times more injured police officers, 30 times as many arrests, and estimated damages in dollar terms up to 1,300 times more costly than those of the Capitol riot.

There was over One Billion dollars of property damage due to BLM. $1.5 million on January 6. Dust up not that far off
  • wld4tatas
    2 years ago
    Freedom of speech is alive and well in the USA. But when you are a public figure and leader, representing your employer, you take your chances wading into public political discourse, whether it be RIGHT or LEFT.

The biggest threat to democracy right now are pro-Trump Republicans who think overturning a free and fair election, without evidence that the election was compromised, is somehow OK. The lack of appreciation of this threat by some on the RIGHT is astounding.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    ^ Reads only the daily beast. If our democracy was in danger on January 6, there really is nothing to save. The true danger to democracy is immigration of all types. Any state that allows people with a driver's license and gives them to illegals as well, has already ended de3mocracy. Massachusetts, the shittiest of democrat run states just added us to the list of shame.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I understand the opinion of the coach. It it likely true, when you compare the damages resulting from both events. However, the violence, and economic damages resulting from the BLM riots doesn’t fit a media narrative, and it is unacceptable to mention.

There is a huge difference between peaceful protests and civil disobedience - and the violence inspired by the BLM movement.

The truth is, the January 6th insurrection was horrible to watch. I don’t condone either action. Both were basically groups of thugs who tossed aside law and order, and attempted to take law into their own hands.

The coach is a public figure who works for a team that is part of a very woke and left leaning league, so he should have considered the potential issues his comments might cause. I can’t make public statements like that either, as my employer would likely fire me. It’s wrong (as it stifles free speech), but it’s important to understand the ramifications of your actions and words before you do something.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Freedom of speech only applies to the public sphere. The private sector which many of you worship can do as it pleases.
  • grand1511
    2 years ago
    In those mess of HR forms that you sign and/or initial when you start a new job, on one section you're usually agreeing that you're not going to make comments on social platforms that put your employer in a bad light or at least leading reporters to ask for an official company statement on those remarks. And when you're supervising a workforce made up primarily of folks from one racial group, it is usually counter productive to publicly criticize supporters of that racial group and expect that your employees will buy into any ideas that you are selling them.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    The freedom to speak your mind , comes with the responsibility to be aware of what you're saying, and even more importantly, to whom you are speaking.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “The private sector which many of you worship can do as it pleases.”

So I am sure you fully support the NLRB decision that Home Depot can prohibit employees from wearing BLM slogans
  • CostaTheCrazyGreek
    2 years ago
    That's the only TRUE form of protest. Don't give them your money.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion