tuscl

OT: Dutch city to dismantle historic bridge to accommodate Jeff Bezos’ new yacht

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Thursday, February 3, 2022 4:24 PM
Dutch city to dismantle historic bridge to accommodate Jeff Bezos’ new yacht

A Dutch city has agreed to spend weeks taking down a historic bridge so Jeff Bezos’ new gigantic superyacht can reach the open seas this summer.

The Amazon founder’s 417-foot-long, three-masted ship that cost’s roughly $500 million is under construction in the Netherlands, but the pleasure boat will be too tall to pass under Rotterdam’s landmark Koningshaven Bridge, which has a 130-foot clearance, according to the NL Times, which cited Dutch-language outlet Rijnmond.

As a work-around, the megabillionaire and the boatmaker Oceano reportedly asked Rotterdam officials to temporarily dismantle the iconic bridge, and pledged to reimburse the city for expenses.

Taking apart and reassembling the middle section of the bridge known locally as “De Hef” was expected to take more than two weeks, the paper said. Rotterdam officials touted Bezos’ pet project as a revenue generator.

“From an economic perspective and maintaining employment, the municipality considers this a very important project,” municipal project leader Marcel Walravens reportedly said. “In addition, Rotterdam has also been declared the maritime capital of Europe. Shipbuilding and activity within that sector are therefore an important pillar of the municipality.”

Word of the planned deconstruction of the 1878 steel structure took a toll on preservation officials, who said the city pledged not to take apart De Hef again following a 2017 restoration.

“Employment is important, but there are limits to what you can and may do to our heritage,” Ton Wesselink of the Rotterdam Historical Society reportedly said.

Another local leader said bowing to Bezos was a “bridge too far,” as he issued a stern rebuke to some of Amazon’s reported business practices.

“This man has earned his money by structurally cutting staff, evading taxes, avoiding regulations and now we have to tear down our beautiful national monument?” Rotterdam politician Stephan Leewis wrote on Twitter.

The bridge was one of the first Rotterdam landmarks to be restored after the city was bombed in World War II. It became obsolete after a tunnel was built for train traffic in 1993, but residents balked at demolishing the span, and it was converted into a national monument, the paper reported.

Bezos’ Y721 superyacht will be one of the biggest sailing vessels ever made in the Netherlands, which is a hub for boat construction for the very wealthy, according to Bloomberg.

The yacht’s towering height has presented other problems for the world’s second-richest man. The boat’s tall masts would present a hazard to helicopters, so the former Amazon CEO commissioned a support yacht with a helipad to follow in its wake, the outlet said.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/02/dutch-city…

13 comments

• gammanu95
    3 years ago
    You see, now I'm a fiscal conservative who believes personal accomplishment should be rewarded; and is very much against handouts for the less accomplished. But there is a point where enough is enough. That is why I hate using Amazon and Facebook. These guys have more money than they can ever hope to spend, and use it not to enrich and advance the country which allowed them to reach such superfluous megawealth (USA), but give more business and power to a murderous genocidal communist dictatorship (China), hellbent on global domination. They then demonstrate the same outrageous bullying and demands that China and Russia do for their own pleasure in Hawaii, the Netherlands, and elsewhere. It is morally reprehensible.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I think Bezos is making up for lost time and is living like a playboy now after he got divorced - it used to be that he used to drive a used Honda Accord I believe - these days he has a hot new GF, has a super-car collection; fancy yachts; multiple mansions; and he's been working out and seemingly on HGH
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I’m surprised he is building a sailboat.

Most of these guys like their power boats.

Those tall masts stick up like giant phallus.

Just like that penis shaped rocket - with a mushroom head - that he has.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I had to tear out some 21 year old shrubs in my front yard to make room for some new Camellias.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    If I had his money I'd make it rain 100 million in hundreds at my favorite stripper hoe club
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Making it rain is trickle down economics lmfao
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    I Fixed it for you all, you are welcome:

“These guys have more money than they can ever hope to spend, and use it not to enrich and advance the country which allowed them to reach such superfluous megawealth (USA), but give more business and power to a similar competing/clouding murderous genocidal communist dictatorship (China), Both (USA & China) hellbent on global domination. They then demonstrate the same outrageous bullying and demands that the USA, China and Russia do for their own pleasure in Hawaii, the Netherlands, and elsewhere in the world. It is morally reprehensible.”

“That's the reason why the world hates America!”

“It is the sufferings of the many which pay for the luxuries of the few...”

~ Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg
    ~ Born: 3rd January 2003 , Sweden
    ~ Occupation: Student, environmental activist
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^^^ “That's the reason why the world hates America!”

That's stupid, if the world hates us why are they trying so desperately to get into this country, try answering in your own words, if you're not a bot !
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    “we just hate them more for being the lying, hypocritical assholes that they are.”

~ The Free Works regarding The United States 🇺🇸 Colonial and Imperial behavior.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Correction:

“we just hate them more for being the lying, hypocritical assholes that they are.”

~ The Free World regarding The United States 🇺🇸 Colonial and Imperial criminal, genocidal behavior.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ You're a fucking hopeless case, you dopey fuckn idiot,you are too stupid to respond too any more, I have more meaningful conversations with the neighbors dog, at least the dog has an original thought.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    “So ridiculously funny how much 25 doesn’t understand it’s always the privileged folks who think they know how everyone should think that live the angriest, poorest, laziest lives of privilege.

Twentyfive must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend!

Chill twentyfive, Chill!"

~ Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg
    ~ Born: 3rd January 2003 , Sweden
    ~ Occupation: Student, environmental activist
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    And the idiot brigade hijacks another thread for a flame war.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion