tuscl

Politicians as heroes

ilbbaicnl
Keep it in my pants when I do OTC. If I were a stripper it would stand for I like big bucks and I can not lie.
When people see politicians as heroes, is that really any different than seeing sports figures as heroes? Seems like a lot of the emotional needs involved are similar. Political hero-worship gets more self-righteous, so more bitterness and possibly violent. But then you can also see sports fans violence, if one side feels like the other side won because of an uncalled foul.

Why are so many people so sure they have the perfect answers to political issues? People naturally have their own individual goals and dreams, but society can't exist if we don't make sacrifices to support it. Politics is mostly about trying to find the balance between those two things. In thousands of years, no society has found the exact right balance, so it seems very delusional when people foam at the mouth claming they know for sure the answer to this.

30 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Neither politicians nor sports figures are heroes. They're people with jobs. Some are better at their job than others.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Anyone who looks at politicians or athletes is a fucking moron. Anyone who believes anyone in uniform is default a hero is a fucking moron. Most successful politicians got their success by being connected and being ruthless sharks. Very, very few politicians succeed through honesty and hard work.
    George W Bush - family connections.
    Biden - ruthless shark with a lifetime of connections.
    Trump - ruthless shark with connections
    Obama - ruthless shark with connections
    Clinton - ruthless shark with connections. Why was he invited to the Bilderberg Group if he as a nobody governor from Arkansas in 1991?
    At least Bush 41 had fought in WW2, even being shot down by the Japanese in combat over the Pacific, but he still came from a very privileged family of east coast Elites.

Most athletes are bitchy little babies, and I don't need to explain the vast difference between a hero and an athlete.

I can not think of a president since Eisenhower who had established himself as a hero prior to entering politics.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    “ In thousands of years, no society has found the exact right balance, so it seems very delusional when people foam at the mouth claming they know for sure the answer to this.”

^ I agree. There is what we know, what we don’t know and what we don’t know that we don’t know. We would do well to keep the third one in mind. Sometimes I’ve thought I had the right answer. And then felt foolish when I realized I’d not considered everything I should have.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ you shouldn’t feel foolish, rather you should keep font of mind is there is a constant effort being made by all politicians to deceive us intentionally, the truth is that some are more skilled and better at creating the deception than others.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    I'd rather see a top athlete as a hero than any politician. Not that being an athlete makes one a hero--far from it--but modern politicians are pit vipers. Skilled liars. Sociopaths. For every Lincoln or Cincinnatus, there are a hundred Trumps and Bidens.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. Power is what all messiahs really seek: not the chance to serve."

- H.L. Mencken

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it."

- Lord Acton
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ you forgot about Stalins assertion
    “It matters not who votes, it only matters who counts the votes”
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @25, there are a million quotes to that end.

That's why "inspirational" politicians like Trump and Obama scare the shit out of me. We have to hold them in check, not fall under their sway.

I want the most boring, competent manager to run the executive branch.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Competence is always a welcome quality in an executive, but sadly very few voters recognize this trait, seems to me that many confuse ideology with competence.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    My Catholic high school history teacher, a priest, gave us this quote.

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save."
    - Psalm 146:3

Religious or not, it rings true.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Some politicians are heroes. Robespierre, Zapata, FD Roosevelt, AOC, Sanders, Castro, Lenin, Mandela, et al They become people's heroes by what they do for the people.

• Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ There goes Icey trying to stir the pot again.
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    What's the difference between heroes and villains? Like 20 years?
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Many have long seen Franklin Roosevelt as a hero.

He was the most progressive and visionary President we have ever had.

SJG

OMS Martinists
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0octoNH…
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    If Margaret Thatcher was involved Ronald Reagan didn’t do it single handedly
    Tell me do you proof read what you post or are you really that stupid
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Bernie Sanders is closer to a Nazi than a hero. He also supported castro, the Ayatollah and Hugo Chavez.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @skibum, don't forget Sanders' honeymoon in the USSR.

Leftists seem to think the rest of us have short memories. Like when The Nation called Hugo Chavez' Venezuela a democracy. They're too busy screaming TRUMP!!!! to admit they fucked one up.

General rule on any moral decision, if you find yourself on the same side as Icey, it's time to reconsider.

• Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Hugo Chávez is a hero too. And Putin.

If Reagan were alive today he'd be a laughing stock. But they didn't have access to info back then the way we do now.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ You're fucking retarded, right now Putin is looking more and more like Hitler, with his annexation of Crimea, and preparing to invade the Ukraine, if we end up in a war it's going to be nasty, it's not going to be over quickly and it will resemble WWII with much of Europe becoming involved against Russia.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    No nation has started and brokered more wars of aggression than the US. Were in no position to tell anyone what to do.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Except shit like you ain't part of we Icey. You dirty rat fuck.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Calling Hugo Chavez a hero disqualifies your opinion on politics.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Politicians aren't heroes. They just aren't.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Qaddafi was a hero as well. Mossadegh. Manuel Andres Lopez Obrador.

There are plenty heroes out there.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    ^fucking losers
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    Why would a true hero want to become a politician? Nobody who gets involved in politics, gets out without becoming a little dirty.

Athletes aren’t heroes either. Their on field performances can be inspirational, but they are not heroic. One of the true heroes, who happened to be a professional athlete, was Pat Tillman.

If an athlete works in a charity and helps others, off the field, he is a very good person. But heroes risk everything, and they don’t expect anything in return. They aren’t doing something heroic and looking for a spotlight.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Who is Brandon?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Biden

Speaking of which

^^ Go away, Cacaplop
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    With China and Russia about to blow, Biden is well on his way to becoming a reluctant hero.

SJG
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    Back when I was a kid, politics was debated and issues were discussed.

Sports were screamed about and your team could do no wrong.

And then Rush apparently couldn't find a job calling football games anymore.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    If Joe Biden can handle these Ukraine and Taiwan crises, he will be a hero. Now less so than John F. Kennedy was because of his handling of the Cuban Crisis.

SJG

Year of the Tiger 2022
    https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story/….

Starts Tues Feb 1st
    https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelgu…

CharmyNY
    https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=8227
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion