tuscl

SHONEYS????? Black Slang Meaning?

I went to Angels last night and paid a $10 cover. Surprising because Sundays were cover free and before that they didn't even open on Sundays! So I asked what the hell is up with $10 cover on Sundays? He says oh it is going to be special. It is shoneys tonight. I said I've never heard of shoneys. Went back and forth on the pronunciation as it sounded like a slurred word. If you ask to have it repeated it, often they will speak it clear. No, I heard this word several times during the night and it always sounded slurred and I couldn't get it said without the slur.

The meaning wasn't clear either, but it has something to do with very explicit shows. Well, I don't like stay up too late so I never did learn what was up.

It was too crowded again and this was a Sunday night. I enjoyed a couple of hotties that I bought way too many dances from and they were overcounters. Initially, I let it slide because of the quality . . . but, even after being put on notice they did the same shit so I was forced to put my foot down. Both girls initially reacted with hostility until they saw there wasn't any backdown in me--looks and good service only go so far--so they went back to playing nice.

One of the girls had her boyfriend there and she was playing with him in between customers. She did seem distraught that he didn't care what I did with her. A couple times he told her to get to work and earn some money. That seemed to make her feel better.

So anyone know the meaning of shoneys? I did check urban dictionary.

11 comments

• lotsoffun201
    17 years ago
    I always though it was a roadside restaraunt
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Maybe it's something related to "show"?
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Yes, I thought there was a restaurant by that name. A large chain.

Yes, it was some type of explicit show. That didn't make too much sense because unless they're going to do FS on stage this is a pretty much no holds bar club. Its reputation is dirty and they aim to keep it that way. :)

• jablake
    17 years ago
    Super Honeys?
  • driver01
    17 years ago
    According to the attached link, you may have been perceived as a "know it all" and got the "shoney treatment" or it may have been a reference to Sundays patrons typically having small dicks. If your hunch is correct and they were using some sort of slang that they would not explain, then those you spoke to were probably having a little fun at your expense...

Or maybe they were just all meeting up at Shoney's after work--lol.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph…
  • driver01
    17 years ago
    And then it may have been "shoni"...Some sort of slur against the quality of the Sunday night patrons who used to come in for free???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph…
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Hi driver01,

Could be. I heard it used a few times in the club. And, a few dancers have told me that white does NOT equal bright (intelligent). Supposedly, there was a little confrontation over whether I was bright that was amusing. Especially considering that when they slur their words or use slang I haven't a clue to what they're saying. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head most likely. Thanks for finding it, I guess I didn't check urban dictionary carefully enough. :)

• Book Guy
    17 years ago
    There was a Saturday Night Live sketch about "peenie pads" which men were supposed to buy and stick inside their underwear to prevent "shoni" staining. :P
  • jablake
    17 years ago

Next time I hear it used I'll be more aggressive to learn exactly what the deal is. :) It is a funny place in that depending on who sees me the cover varies from $0 to $10 to $20 for the night shift. Yes, it does go over $20 and then there is $10 and up for parking which also has no apparent rhyme or reason. So I may enter free and the guy behind me gets hit with a $20 charge plus parking of $10. At one time they wanted to keep the white customers and worked to make it a friendly environment, but those days may be coming to an end. I never saw any whites handing out $20s like they were ones. Times continue to change.

There is some problem leaving via the back entrance where it says EXIT. Security was mighty unhappy I left by that route and wanted to know why I didn't use the front entrance. I said because my car is right there! He wasn't a happy camper . . .

With all this nonsense surrounding Angels, I still give it a 10 even if bans whites. :)
  • ShotDisc
    17 years ago
    The main feature of the Shoney's resteraunt chain is their buffet breakfast. Maybe there was a cover because there was going to be some type of dancer "buffet" available that night.
  • jablake
    17 years ago

That's a nice thought. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion