tuscl

Time to reflect

Friday, October 26, 2007 12:22 AM
Just wanted to stop for a moment and share my observations and wishes. First, I want to thank everyone for their active participation. Its been great! We got into some heated discussions and shared some funny stories. Second, I wanted to remind ourselves that the Discussion Board is a playground big enough for all of us and that we should not be "bullying" each other (i.e. calling out on Doug's marriage... poor guy stopped posting for a few days). If you do not like a particular subject, just ignore it and post something you like to discuss or to share. Not every single topic will strike accord with everyone. Third, lets be more supportive of each other. We are a bit of Stripoholic Anonymous and are going to SC because there is something missing in our lives (no need to discuss this fact further, just admit it to yourself)and we need each other's willingness to share to better understand ourselves. Finally, look for the positive in all your clubbing experiences, lets have more fun regardless of situation, take that positive energy and bring it home and/or to our Board. Thanks again.

7 comments

• DougS
    17 years ago
    Prof: I wasn't at all bothered by the "dougs marriage" message thread. In fact, I kind'a chuckled when I saw it. I don't think I've ever taken offense with what has been posted. I see this site as a great source of information, and sometimes I receive some excellent advice. I've also learned a lot, and have "grown" from reading other poster's perspectives. I've "met" some very interesting people, and strangely enough even consider some of them to be "friends" (though I don't know if that's possible if we've never even met). Most of all, I feel that this discussion board is therapeutic. I've got MANY issues that I am trying to sort out in my mind; everything from a potentially failing marriage to falling in love with a dancer... Yeah, the term "issues" doesn't even come close.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Hi DougS, Yeah, that is the way I saw it. Didn't mean I was correct in that view. It is an example of where there is a break down of communication for any possible number of reasons. With me it is sometimes due to my writing style. The person wants to read sound bites and I'm writing mini novels. :) In other cases it is just value judgments. One person will believe in "equality" and another person will find it offensive. The communication can break down rapidly because of very different belief systems.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    JaBlake: As you implied, the other aspect at work here is interpretation. What makes perfect sense in the mind of the poster, may not be conveyed that way once typed. We all have our own writing styles and ways of thinking, and unless you are talking to someone face-to-face, it is very easy to have the meaning get lost in the translation. Even when talking, that can happen, though it is much more likely to occur when writing. Here's a good example... In my line of work, I must communicate with the written language as much - or even more - than I do verbally. One of my habits that I still have a hard time with is my usage of capitalizing a whole word for emphasis. As I type and proof read something that I've written like that, it makes all the sense in the world and my point comes across beautifully. However, I have heard from others that my use of caps comes across as if I were yelling and / or being hostile. You just never know how your audience is going to interpret what you've written.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Hi DougS, I agree with you about capitalizing a whole word for emphasis. To me it has nothing to do with "yelling." I just want to make sure the person sees that point especially when I tend to type and type or my point might be a littel to subtle or strange. I use quotes for different reasons, which may be misunderstood. Sometimes a label is dishonestly applied to an idea or a program. For example, the "Patriot" Act. Or, "affirmative" action. Yes, some people believe the the Patriot Act is patriotic and would believe that about any laws so labelled. Yes, some people believe affirmative action is a affirmative no matter the results. Or "improvements" are improvements even if that isn't the case for most people. The sidewalk in front of my home is supposedly an "improvenment." Well, I'd like to remove the damn thing it isn't an "improvement" in my opinion even though so labelled by the "friendly" government.
  • driver01
    17 years ago
    Reflection is often an overrated virtue. My ex-wife was big on reflection... That is one reason she is now my ex-wife. But I do enjoy the reflections of dancer Kiki when she drops to her knees and places her head into my lap as I gaze into the mirror directly behind her showing off that fabulous perfectly rounded ass....Hmmm... Ok, so upon reflection I do enjoy a good reflection every now and then.
  • Professor906090
    17 years ago
    I like your sence of humor and hope that you also enjoy other reflections produced by a mirror especially if they would remind you of Kiki's "perfect rounded ass"...;)
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Well put Pro! Couldn't have said it any better! The board is a good source of information and even has humor in some cases. I don't care for the arguments or heated discussions, as life is to short to go off on tangents.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion