tuscl

OT: Not too shabby

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Mets pay annual $1 million to former MLB slugger Bobby Bonilla

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/mets-pay…

11 comments

• Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Mr Bonilla has a nice retirement paycheck. $1.5MM per year. I think even I could afford to retire on that.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I had heard he was one of Bernie Madoff’s victims
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    It’s pretty amazing the contracts negotiated by MLB players/agents. I’m still amazed at the money paid for Robinson Cano - as he was a decent second baseman for the Yankees. The Mariners pissed away a good amount of money to get him.

The Mets are no strangers to making poor purchases. They got Cano now. Sadly, the money they lost in the Madoff scheme isn’t the worst if their losses.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I’ll never stop being tortured by my Mets.

And that Cano trade might’ve been the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen any sports team ever do. I hate this fucking team sometimes. Please Steve Cohen buy this team and save us!
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    He is far from the only former player getting a nice check today. For example, the Reds are paying Ken Griffey Jr. $3,593,750 and Bronson Arroyo will be paid $1,363,636 today. Granted neither of their deals go nearly as long as Bonilla's bit it is still a large chunk of money.

You have to wonder if these types of deals are why the owners "couldn't afford" to pay current players their prorated salaries for more than 60 games this year. Griffey is making the 6th highest salary on the Reds payroll this year.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I’m not sure but many of these players with deferred payments are covered with an annuity purchased in conjunction with their contract
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Bonilla's current $1-Mil+ yearly Mets payments supposedly go till 2035 - he retired in 2001 and seems he's been getting that since then - nice retirement package - make it rain Bobby make it rain!
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Hey, in 2025 Bobby Bo can add like $25K a year in Social Security. Then he can REALLY go ballin.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ LOL - true
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Hell, I just realized he is also getting $500K a year from the Mets and Orioles. He takes that one all in singles!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ LOL - he shows-up to the club with a Uhaul truck for his $ingles
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion