tuscl

How long did it take to get Global Entry?

Topher1029
Florida
I applied for Global Entry card at the end of May, paid my $100 and began waiting. It's been 3.5, almost 4 months now, and the TSA website still says "Pending Review", and still no card for me yet. Wondering how long it took others to get Global Entry?

15 comments

• TFP
    5 years ago
    Wow, that's crazy! You definitely need to speak with someone, that's way too long.

All I can say is, it'll be worth it once you get it. I had to cross back and forth between Mexico and the US about 3 times. It didn't matter what time it was, or which crossing I used. Still took at least 45 minutes each time going into the US. Into Mexico? Never a wait.
  • Phandy
    5 years ago
    Government shutdown has killed the process. It’s taking up to 6 months from my understanding.
  • Topher1029
    5 years ago
    Crap. Thanks for the info Phandy.
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    Took me about two months. (but that was a while ago.)
  • TJ Lee
    5 years ago
    So GE is easier to be approved than Sentri? You just pay $100 and wait for your card? Unlike Sentri you'll get the interview and will mostly be denied.
  • Topher1029
    5 years ago
    No, Global Entry requires an interview too, after you first get "Conditional approval". Or at least that's what the TSA website says.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Anislee why would you get denied after interview what’s the beef I’ve never been to TJ but I have the frequent flier global entry there’s never been a problem in or out of USA in all of my travels
  • l00ber
    5 years ago
    I waited over 3 months after submitting my paperwork before being directed to make an appointment for my interview. When I made my interview appointment, the first available time slot was 3 months out. Your experiences may differ depending on which PoE office your interview will be at. Interest in GE had also waned as more professional travelers are looking towards clear.
  • DeclineToState
    5 years ago
    My experience in 2018:
    Applied for Global Entry mid August
    Conditional approval received 5 weeks later in late Sept
    Plenty interviews available within 30 days of conditional approval.

Advice: Don't be talkative during your approval appointment because you don't know what type of interview officer you'll get. I got a super uptight female interviewer with an over the top police mindset. I was trying to be pleasant and talkative because in everyday interactions that leads to things going smoother but everything I said led to her hassling me and asking follow up questions for everything I said. Bottom line, I talked too much and it was a mistake. Just answer the questions asked and don't volunteer info beyond the question. Maybe I just got a bad draw but that was my experience.

After conditional approval and before interview, I crossed into TJ for my maiden voyage to HK and thankfully did not get asked about it during interview, but I believe that was because the border agent upon my 4:30 AM re-entry to USA appeared to just look at my passport and wave me through rather than scan it.
    5 years ago
    It is taking much longer now since the shutdown they have been saying they are backlogged. Five to six months is the guesstimate that I received. And that’s for a renewal.
  • Dontstop
    5 years ago
    I too applied. Website says up to 10 months.
  • PutaTester
    5 years ago
    A couple of points from my experience:

About the only valid reason for being denied a Global Entry card is if you have a criminal record or if you are on a do not fly list. And even then it is not always denied. They just like giving people grief.

Denying you because you made previous trips to another country doesn't make any sense. Indeed, the reason for obtaining Global Entry is usually frequent travel.

Interview appointments take months to get, so make an appointment as soon as you can. That said, some locations take walk-ins. It took me about two months to get an interview appointment at Otay Mesa. At the time, they were doing interviews 24/7. Despite having an appointment, I had to wait over an hour to be called. The interview took about 30 minutes. The first 15 minutes he was peppering me with questions about my residence and employment. Asked me to provide my company ID, which I just happen to have. I am from out of the area, and when he was satisfied that I was a legitimate traveler, he flipped into tour guide mode telling me about all the great things to see and do in San Diego. (No wonder they are backed up.)

A relative I sometimes travel with also got Global Entry to avoid the lines on our European trips. We went to the office at SFO as a walk in. Sat on a bench for about five minutes before being called up. Interview took five minutes.

Crazy.

Make sure that you bring your valid passport (not just a passport card, although it is a good idea to have both), driving license, employment ID or check stub (not a requirement, but good to have in case), a utility bill with your name on it (again, not required), and anything else that indicates that you are an upstanding citizen (who happens to be very horny, but I would leave that out of the conversation).

The advice to keep your answers brief and not to volunteer any information is spot on, but do smile and try not to appear anxious or nervous.

Enjoy. We expect multiple reviews in return for our advice (;-p).
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    thank goodness i had a friendly short interview at otay mesa. but certainly do not volunteer unrequested info. remember KISS.
  • Topher1029
    5 years ago
    Still waiting for "Conditional approval", before I can even try to schedule an interview. Going on 4 months now. : - (
  • Jascoi
    5 years ago
    try to schedule the interview. maybe it will 'force' the system to be faster.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion