tuscl

A Prescient Barber Predicted My Golden Era

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Barbers often get chatty while they cut your hair. Some barbers regard lively chatter an essential part of the barbershop experience that they must provide to keep their customers happy.

When I was in my late 30s I went to a barber on Preston Road in north Dallas. I don’t recall his name or the name of his barber shop. But I will never forget his prescient advice.

He was probably 15 to 20 years older than I was. Upon learning that I was in my late 30s he commented on how jealous he was. He explained it wasn’t that he wanted to relive his 30s. He said he wished he could relive his 40s. He stressed that I should be looking forward to my 40s.

From my point of view at the time, being in my 40s sounded awful. I imagined myself hurtling through my 40s toward a paunch, a bald head, an enlarged prostate and early signs of erectile dysfunction.

I probably said something to that effect. But my prescient barber told me I was all wrong. He guaranteed I would always remember my 40s as my Golden Era.

“Most men,” he explained, “reach their physical peak around age 25. But that doesn’t mean you fall apart when you hit 30 or that it’s all downhill from there. Your physical decline will start out very slowly. If you work at it just a bit, you can postpone serious decline until you’re about 50 or even later. Meanwhile, you’re getting smarter. You’re learning how women like to be treated. You’re becoming more financially successful. Women,” he said, “prefer older men because they know how to treat a woman and are usually better lovers than younger men. Older men have more poise, self confidence and class than younger men and they often possess greater financial resources allowing them to be more indulgent with their women.”

What my barber said made sense to me, but I wondered whether any of it was true. Maybe it was just an older man’s rationalization about why getting older wasn’t so bad.

It turns out, my barber knew what I was talking about. Yes, I was fitter when I was 25. But I had more money when I was in my 40s. I had even more when I was in my 50s and 60s. But when I was in my 40s I was in that “sweet spot” where my enhanced maturity, financial success, sophistication, self confidence and insight into women more than compensated for being past my physical peak, and allowed me to attract more gorgeous young women than I had time for.

Throughout my 40s I don’t recall ever canoodling a woman older than 33. Most of my girlfriends were in their early to mid 20s (but toward the end of my 40s, I usually found women in their late 20s more interesting).

If there was any decade I would be keen relive, it would be my 40s. Those years were indubitably my “Golden Era!”

My prescient barber knew exactly what he was talking about.

When was your Golden Era (or do you think it’s still to come)?

8 comments

• jackslash
    5 years ago
    Why do barbers want to talk? Dentists are even worse, asking you questions when your mouth is full of dental tools. STFU.

My 60's have been the best era. I'm in good health, I have a good income, I'm retired, and I'm single. I have no boss at home or at work. I do what I want to do all day every day. I have plenty of female companionship, thanks to strip clubs and FKKs. I travel internationally several times a year. Life could not be much better.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Don’t you wish Jackslash was your barber ;)
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Late 40's to Early 50's. I would say it coincided with financial success. I had been affluent before that, but my businesses starting really paying of just a few years ago. And I don't think it's just the money. A man's confidence soars with financial success. I think the women are as attracted to that confidence almost as much as the money itself.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    I envy you, Jackslash. I’m not in the same free-wheeling more you are. I will probably never be. I’ve got the funds and had big plans to spend this phase of my life on a Harley Davidson.

This was my dream ride:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/mo…

But my young wife gave birth to twins when I was already at retirement age. By the time I finish this “daddy” gig I will be pretty much all used up.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    ^^^ “free-wheeling MODE”
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Riding is fun, but stay out of the rain ;)
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Very nice bike
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    And Reverend, thanks for using the word "prescient." This place could use some classing up.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion