tuscl

OT: Faster than a fighter jet: The $2.5 million Pininfarina Battista electric hy

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
While other automakers packed the Javits Center for the New York International Auto Show, Automobili Pininfarina launched one of the week's most exciting car debuts at an off-site event.

The company's new all-electric Battista hypercar produces a whopping 1,900 horsepower and reaches 60 miles per hour in under two seconds. That makes it the fastest street-legal car ever built by an automaker, even outrunning a Formula One race car to 60 mph.

Pininfarina has previously said that a Battista will hit 180 mph in less time than an F-16 fighter jet. All of that thrust comes from electric motors that are fed by a 120 kWh battery and should be good for around 300 miles of range on a single charge.

The company — which has roots in the storied Italian design house that styled iconic cars like the Fiat 124, Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari Testarossa and Alfa Romeo Spider — is targeting a 2020 release date for the Battista.

The company enters the all-electric hypercar fray at a competitive time with companies like Rimac and NIO rushing to market ultimate-performance EVs. More established brands are also pushing for performance electrics, as Tesla gears up to build the next Roadster and Porsche puts its Taycan on sale.

Automobili Pininfarina has secured U.S. retail partnerships with distributors in Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco. With just 50 of the 150 Battistas destined for the North American market and a $2.5 million price tag, the Battista is sure to be a rare sight. According to the company, over half of the cars slated for North America have been reserved.

The Battista was first shown during Monterey Car Week in a private showing. The company plans to return to Monterey this year to launch the "PF1," which is supposedly Automobili Pininfarina's upcoming electric luxury car.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/the-2poi…

27 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Or if you don't wanna go electric, you can go w/ this bad-boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5hTPpi…
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^They have a konigsegg on display in the showroom in West Palm Beach the car is gorgeous the price is over 1.5 million.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ are you gonna buy it?
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ If you loan me 1.4 mil that would be one great birthday present;)
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ give me to the end of the month
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^;))
  • ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    How does one do a manly "grunt, grunt" in a green, tree hugging way? ;-)
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ just go and buy a 2.5 million dollar ride the manly grunting with come naturally. ;)
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I have a Camry.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ Do you have the pink bunny ears with the pink fluffy tail package ; )
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Pininfarina makes nice cars. Great acceleration, faster zero to 60 than a Formula 1 car, but this is the strength of electrics, and especially all wheel drive.

And likewise getting out to 180 mph, faster than a fighter jet. Well, jet planes have crumby low end acceleration. This is why the aricraft carrier ships have to have catapults. And then a fighter jet is a straight turbo jet, zero bypass. So this car can accelerate faster, but certainly it cannot go faster.

And as far as this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5hTPpi…

Having written simulation programs for all kinds of wheel driven road cars, very hard to get one to go 300 mph. The traction thrust from the wheels is just not up to the high air drag. Horsepower becomes irrelevant. So while someone may now be selling such a car, there is no way you would ever want to be driving on a road that fast. If you want to go that fast, you need three dimensional air based controls, as in an airplane.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koenigsegg…

Talking about 1262 hp, from a 5 liter gasoline V8. A bit much.

But running on E-85 it has 1578 hp. I presume then that because of high turbo boost, it can get such results from E-85, without having to change the engine for higher compression.

Talks about how it depends upon a wing giving it lots of downwards pressure.

Again, if you want to go so fast, better to have an airplane.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    https://www.koenigsegg.com/car/jesko/

Very light crankshaft, so 8500 rpm redline.

All interesting, but needless to say, I consider this car completely impractical, and what they are saying it can do would be suicidal to try on public roads.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    It does use a flat crank V8, like Ferrari, as opposed to the more common 4 way crank.

Flat crank is the more canonical design for a V8, works better. So it is like 2x 4 cylinder engines joined together, so it fires alternating bank. Works better for exhaust and intake, and lighter crank, higher RPM.

Early V8's had been like this, but many did not like the amount of vibration produced. So they came up with 4 way cranks, and you hear the typical sounds. There is scavenging going on.

V6 engines do not have this problem, nor do v10 or V12 engines.

SJG
  • Clubber
    5 years ago

Do yourself a favor, don't buy it! Why you might ask? Well if you're anything like the old fart I am, you'll end up killing yourself. Wouldn't want that to happen.

Sometimes I'm surprised I haven't killed or very seriously injured myself with some of my 70 years worth of "stunts". :)
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ I’m not that wealthy bud , I get the appeal though, some things are fun to own, we both enjoy riding fast bikes, but I don’t ride so fast anymore, the appeal to me now is more in the capabilities of the machine, rather than pushing the limits. ;)
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ one thing I’ll tell you a few years back a buddy of mine brought a tri engine go-fast Scarab with over a thousand horsepower took it out to the gulfstream offshore what a fuckn thrill going over 70 mph incredible and scary af.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago

Agreed. I really didn't think you would purchase it. I know I wouldn't even if I had the money. The one car I drove that was the most fun was a late '69 Hemi Road Runner. Talk about a kick in the back!

Also my friend's '69 440 6-pack. It was one of those they blue-printed for NHRA qualifications.
  • TheeOSU
    5 years ago
    "one thing I’ll tell you a few years back a buddy of mine brought a tri engine go-fast Scarab with over a thousand horsepower took it out to the gulfstream offshore what a fuckn thrill going over 70 mph incredible and scary af."

Unless it was something like 40ft long or more I expect it would go faster than that.

And the cars in the first two links are beyond awesome!
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    You haven't driven anything until you've driven an Infiniti
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @theeOSU scarab was a 37 ft boat but you have no idea what it’s like flying from wave to wave the bounce is terrifying and the ocean was like glass smooth seas, one rogue breaker boat will be airborne, no brakes and when you come down you come down hard you can crush the hull it’s nothing like going fast in a wheeled vehicle or an airplane.
  • TheeOSU
    5 years ago
    Yes I do have more than an idea. I boated for 16 years and I had a go fast boat for 14 of those years albeit it was a single big block and smaller but it still did mid 60s and yes I've experienced wave hopping several times and once hit the bottom of a 6-8ft swell that came out of nowhere and shocked my inner core when I bottomed out in it at around 50mph. I'm just glad that nobody was with me that day and I'm lucky that the boat didn't break.
    Another time with a buddy of mine we picked up a couple chicks and were out flying around wave hopping. He was sitting in the back with one of them and later told me that she almost flew out of the boat when we hit one wave. I ran into her in a bar another time and she told me her ass was sore for a week and her back was sore for a longer period after that boat ride.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    How big was your boat and were you an ocean or lake boater?
    I owned two different kinds of boats one was a knickerbocker class 12 meter J boat (racing sailboat) all wood, and the second was a 34 foot pacemaker with a 10 ft beam, also wood, I owned them when I lived on LI in NY, all of my boating was ocean, and salt water, I have been on boats in sweet water and mostly unless you’re on the Great Lakes the environment is radically different, with different types of water conditions.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    C'mon, we know you guys really want to compare penis sizes.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^?Mines bigger ;)
  • Clubber
    5 years ago

^ You may be correct. I've often heard you called a BIG DICK! :)
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ thanks for the back up ;)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion