tuscl

Toxic cities

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
I recently hit a couple of clubs in West Palm Beach after a day of marketing and sales visits. The sales calls were difficult, the traffic was fucking awful, the waitress and other patrons at lunch were discourteous at best, and the clubs were the perfectly disappointing cap to the day. There are some cities where it does not matter what the liquor or touching laws are, when defining good or bad clubbing cities. Some places have a genuinely toxic population, where citizens have forgotten what it means to be civilized and humane to one and other. I have experienced the same thing, to a much lesser degree in Fort Myers and Houston. Cities where people seem more happy and open to each other - Tampa, Phoenix, Pensacola - had memorably excellent experiences in their strip clubs. Am I off base, or has anyone else experienced something similar?

7 comments

• loper
    6 years ago
    I've found that each club has its own personality -- within a given city you can find both friendly and scary clubs. There are some cities where I don't seem to mesh very well, but I would be reluctant to generalize before getting a lot of experience there.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Good thing you didn't make it all the way down to Miami (you might've killed somebody)
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    No, Papi, I have been to Tootsie's 2-3 times. Twice in its prime, and then once when it seemed the decline had first begun. I think that's the only place in Miami though.
  • TJ Lee
    6 years ago
    TJHK is very lovely.
  • sinclair
    6 years ago
    gammanu95, West Palm Beach is notorious for being an enclave of well-off Jewish people. One writer referred to it as the "land of suntanned Trotsky's in delis, corned beef Commies, and buffet Bolsheviks.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ Really I thought that Boca Raton was the promised land
  • Cheo_D
    6 years ago
    ^ Heheheh yeah I was under the same impression as twentyfive.

West Palm has an identity issue, related to Palm Beach proper being sort of posh but the rest of the county being tickytacky at best. Plus of late the stress of having a particular weekend resident may be getting on people’s nerves.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion