tuscl

Facebook Experiment.

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
I know, another stupid post about Facebook. Wanted to share something interesting.

I have been on Facebook since something like 2006 or 07. I deleted my account first of this year. Within a month, the spam calls on my phone (associated with that Facebook account) went from an average of 15-20 every 2 weeks down to maybe 1 or 2 calls every 2 weeks.

Since you can't access a lot of restaurants, bars, event information, etc. without a Facebook account, I broke down and created a fake page just so I can access this stuff. Not my real name, no profile picture, no location, a junk email address, etc. To register a Facebook account you HAVE to give a phone number, so I used a phone number on a 3rd phone I have that I strictly use just for data. In the several years I have owned this number (and phone) I have made maybe 3 or 4 phone calls from it and never have posted this number ANYWHERE. Well, as soon as I registered this Facebook account I have gotten several spam calls on this phone now.

Wow! It's worse than I thought.

6 comments

• orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I never knew you had to give them a phone number. I don't think I ever did. Now I want to check.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    maybe if you signed up a long time ago you didn't, but when signing up a few weeks ago using my phone it required me to do so. Just strange coincidence my "phantom" phone now gets spam calls and my everyday phone which is no longer linked to Facebook now gets very few spam calls.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I gave them email addresses but no phone numbers. I suppose they can collect more data from email addresses depending upon what data is tied to an email. I'm not sure. They don't list any mobile phone numbers for me because I never gave them any.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I created a new account in either 2017 or 2018. Maybe brand new accounts require more now.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I also went online and opted out of almost every web site that found my name or phone number. Doing so drastically cut down spam phone calls but a couple web sites I had to opt out of again after 3 months. I think some feed on themselves. I was only trying to become invisible to robo callers and spammers. I keep a landline in case a web site requires a phone number for whatever. I only answer it less than once in a blue moon. Once I get better internet options and feel confident I'm not moving, will look for throwaway numbers and possibly drop it. I've received less than 12 spam calls on my mobile phone in the last year. It's not registered on any list that I know of. My landline gets them though.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I just remembered I had 2 girls call me via FaceTime earlier in the month around 2 am. I did not answer. Facebook got my mobile number via FaceTime and messenger but it's not listed as mobile data on my Facebook account.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion