tuscl

OT: Is this racist?

TheeOSU
FUCK IT!
Monday, February 26, 2018 2:43 PM
I'm not defending the heckler in this story, he actually sounded pretty lame and ignorant, but I am wondering if things get to the point that anything said to a black man by a non black man will be considered racist by the media. Quote from news article.. San Antonio Spurs point guard Patty Mills was the target of a fan’s racially charged taunting during Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Mills was at the free throw line late in the fourth quarter when a fan shouted out, “hey Jamaican dog they want their bobsledder back! Hey Mills, Jamaica just called, they want their bobsledder back!” Question, what there is racially charged? Yes most Jamaicans are black but Jamaicans are not a race, they are a nationality and I am positive that there are white Jamaicans. Change the heckle to “hey American dog they want their bobsledder back! Hey Mills, America just called, they want their bobsledder back!” Is there any racism in that altered quote? Dogs are not a race. Bobsledders and bobsleds are not a race. So calling a guy a Jamaican dog bobsledder is racist? [view link]

23 comments

• GACA
    6 years ago
    He didn't say monkey or app.... I'm with you, doesn't seem to racist to me. That's the liberal-left being a little too sensitive. And I am of that ilk, meaning liberal-left
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    He was probably saying that because Patty Mills has dreads/braids, like a lot of Jamacians, but Patty is Australian.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Yes it's racist. Everything is.
  • clubdude
    6 years ago
    Yes, it's racist because the heckler meant it to be.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    The NBA is such a pussy league it makes me wonder if they are trying to be bigger pussies than euro soccer trash. Living with progressives is painful.
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    I dropped off the twins at McDonald
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ "Yes, it's racist because the heckler meant it to be." And I guess you have the superpower of being able to ascertain unstated intentions.
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    Not saying it was racist but when he called him a dog that was over the top. Which is where someone might think it's racist. I would want to kick sometimes ass for that comment. Just saying Jamaica called and they want their bobsledder back is funny.
  • Chrisjenk94
    6 years ago
    Saying “Build the Wall” is racist and will get a student expelled so I can imagine the snowflake crowd would have a hissy fit with Jamaican and dog in the same sentence
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    It was a pretty racially insensitive comment. And ignorant... the guy isn't even Jamaican, he's aboriginal. Hey, he's black and has dreads, let's call him a Jamaican Dog! And at our next opportunity, let's find a big dark black guy and call him a Mandingo Gorilla --- no racial undertones there, either! "Yes most Jamaicans are black but Jamaicans are not a race, they are a nationality" Chinese is not a race, it's a nationality. But I guarantee if you were told to close your eyes and picture a Chinese woman, she would be Asian, which is a race. That's just an example, there are plenty more nationalities that almost always represent someone's race. "and I am positive that there are white Jamaicans." White people make up less than 1% of Jamaicans. Actually, it is closer to 0% at a whopping 0.2%. So, out of every 1,000 Jamaicans, 2 are white. An extremely small number of white Jamaicans does not in anyway change the commonly held (and true) belief that almost all Jamaicans are black, with over 90% being black, and over 7% of the rest being mixed with black and something else, which rounds out to about 98% of Jamaicans being black or part black. Come on now. The guy who said those comments is a jerk, but it's sad that so many people don't understand the power of their obnoxious words. If he'd said it to a blue collar Jamaican immigrant here in America, the Jamaican person would probably be offended. I think that's the more important part of this discussion. Patty Mills is a multi millionaire who is an indigenous Australian, so I'm sure he is fine. People have every right to be offended by someone trying to put down their background.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Free speech keeps us free and words affect no one with a brain. Bunch of pussies called progressives are the exception. Build the wall is racist? Fucking stupid.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @Skibum I’m not going to weigh in about the OPs question, and I know you aren’t vocal about your ignore list but calling progressives pussies is a little funny here, seems to me that the majority of people pushing their ignore list here are the most right wing members, if that’s not pussy behavior I’m not sure what would be.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I agree with Nina that it was racially insensitive. My first reaction when I read it was that I would have been offended if I were black. I still thought it was obnoxious and disrespectful.
  • Bj99
    6 years ago
    Race is a purely cultural construct, so saying what country you think a person’s ancestors are from is ab the same thing. There was a time when “Italian,” was a race in this country. Ppl had it on their DL. Now, Italian is considered to be a type of Caucasian, but it wasn’t before. I’ve read that Japanese and Chinese will be considered to be types of Caucasian by 2050.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    It’s definitely a racist comment. How can you call someone a dog - and not have that be derogatory? If a person called out to me and said “The WASP’s just called - they want their dog back! You pasty - flat assed - rhythm-less - tennis-playing - fool!” - I’d consider it to be racist too.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Regardless of the heckler’s intent and whether he is racist, most folks, myself included, would do well to blurt shit out less.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Calling someone a dog or dawg is not, in itself, racist. An ugly lady is referred to as a dog. It may have been complimentary if he meant it as dawg. As I understand it, it is only racist if it was motivated as a disparaging remark based on one's race.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    ANYTHING people disagree with is racist these days. Much easier for the stupid to claim racism rather than enter into intellectual debate.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    @SkiBirther wrote: "Build the wall is racist? Fucking stupid." _____________ I think the original comment referred to a story where elementary-school aged kids who were mimicking Trump and reciting "Build that wall" to Latino and black kids -- which of course had to be stopped. Someone loony enough to believe that Obama was born in Kenya probably wouldn't understand.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    @bvino, that's just ridiculous. @shadow, imo smoking a pipe is a little bit of a pain in the ass.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    That's weird, I don't know how that happened. Ignore my last comment.
  • rattdog
    6 years ago
    did he make the free throw(s)?
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    The pussy-ass snowflakes of the liberal left want everything to be racist, sexist, homophobic, class injustice or whatever label the muckraking SJW's can slap on it. Was it aggressive? Yes! It's heckling. That happens in pro sports. Get over it. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it racist.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion