tuscl

What Happened in Memphis?

EastCoaster
I strongly prefer women of color. Every color.
I have to be in Memphis on business next month and was planning to check out the strip clubs. (I was in Memphis only once before, 20 years ago, and did the usual tourist stuff -- Graceland, Beale Street, etc. -- but no strip clubs.) So I'm doing my research here and reading reviews.

Only two clubs -- Gold Club and Pony -- have a decent number of reviews (214 and 202, respectively). The next highest is Pure Passion with only 21 reviews -- the last one being in May, 2016. Of the 11 Memphis clubs listed on TUSCL, the number of reviews on six of them are in the single digits. Only seven of the clubs have been reviewed this year.

OK, I already knew that Memphis sucks as a strip club town, but here's my question: Quite a number of reviews express the opinion that at one time, clubs in Memphis were a lot more fun, but all of a sudden that came to a halt. What happened?

Secondary question, for those who know the clubs there: From reading reviews, it seems like Candyland, though maybe a dive, might be my best bet for mileage. Right or wrong?

7 comments

• shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Back around 2005 The city changed ordinances on adult entertainment. My favorite club the Platinum Plus and the Tunica Cabaret were shut down for violations including prostitution & racketeering. The PP owner went to jail. The new regulations took all of the fun out of clubbing in Memphis.

See my article on Memphis Platinum Plus remembered.
  • dutchman2000
    7 years ago
    Went Bikini only 1/1/2012. 2015 they slipped into pasties. Now most will go topless in the lap dance area, right in front of security with no problems. They use flesh colored nip covers to you can't tell unless right on top of you. Or, wear bra or lingerie on stage so they can slip off in lap area. The thing is,,,,, I can't find anything on the net about any law changes. Maybe they just decided to push it and see what happens.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    The reviews list 2 black clubs. One of them is after hours.

They are in an industrial area,not near anything touristy.

I am skeptical that they are willing to post 5 cops in each of these clubs, and at all times, and with less than that, I am skeptical that it is possible to enforce any rules.

Let us know what you find.

SJG
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    Memphis is such a ratty city with so many problems - I can't picture it keeping a "clean" SC scene long term. It'll slide back to approximately the way it used to be.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    ^^^^^^^^ That's what I suspected! Glad to hear it from someone who knows. I'm not there yet, but I plan to be.

SJG
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Do the strip clubs in Memphis have enough parking for SJG's motor home?
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    I bet those two Black clubs in the industrial tilt up area do! And especially since one of them is an 'After Hours Club', I don't think they would have any problem with me walking one of their girls right out the front door.

:) :) :)

Just saw one of these:
    http://www.roadtrek.com/models/simplicit…

Since it is FWD, the floor is lower, and so the roof can be lower, and that means better fuel economy. This is their gasoline V6, and that is a good engine. But I would rather have their V6 turbo diesel, even though the power is much lower.

SJG

Clapton - Knock On Wood
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T12EVXd…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion