tuscl

Spanish Gang Arrested For Turning Old Toyotas Into Ferraris

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/02/14/S…

Well two ways I can comment:

1. Hey Juice, I found a new car for you!!!!

2. Now SJG's dream of pulling up to Hong Kong in Tijuana in an exotic car can come true!

22 comments

• rockstar666
    8 years ago
    No one is fooled by those fakes, except the idiot that buys one. Well, maybe strippers are fooled too.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    Wow. It's a bad idea to buy $200K high performance sports car on the internet. I never would have suspected that.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Didn't they use to make kits to make Fiero's look like Ferrari's and Lambo's. I swear i saw an old Dolph Lundgren movie with a bunch of them so it looked like exotic expensive card.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    If they are good replicas, they wouldn't be bad to buy, I wouldn't pay $200 K, though.
  • impala
    8 years ago
    That's why you should always have an expert check out any car you buy.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Shailynn, I just talked to your mom. She means it, confined to the attic, and no internet until this matter of the 21 cats is resolved.

Because you continue to defy her, she is increasing the rehearsals of the West Texas Christian Glee Club to 3 evenings per week. And she will be driving you there, in her mini-van, personally.

These are those 3rd gen Toyota Supras, 3.0L inline 6, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder. I read about one guy turbo charging it to 430hp. Anyway, those Toyota's are nice.

SJG

Article II Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office, or of his death, resignation, or inability to discharge the powers and duties of the said office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by law provide for the case of removal, death, resignation or inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what officer shall then act as President, and such officer shall act accordingly, until the disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution…
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Impala, even my ATF could tell a real Ferrari/Lamborghini from a fake by just lifting the hood. You need an expert when you buy the real thing, since even "routine" procedures are expensive, and more serious issues are downright outrageous. Anyone can buy a Ferrari but only upper middle class can keep it on the road.

OTOH, these fakie dos have common engines, trannies, etc. and even "serious" issues are cheaper than the body panels and badges, so you don't need an expert to make a reasonable purchase. If you like fakes.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    rockstar is right - ferraris are climbing in price now but less than 10 years ago you could buy a good condition 512T for $50k. What people don't realize is you have to pull the fucking engine to change the oil, and the annual maintenance and oil change runs about $7,500. Fucking crazy.

SJG - go fucking kill yourself faggot
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Shailynn, you mom uped it to three rehearsals of the West Texas Christian Glee Club per week. She is calling you now.

SJG
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Shailynn, I know of a sweet Ferarri that only cost 2.3 million. I told the sales manager at the Ferrari dealership, I was only there to dream. Next week when you're up here, I'll take you to the dealership. :)
  • sflguy123
    8 years ago
    "Didn't they use to make kits to make Fiero's look like Ferrari's and Lambo's."

Yea I remember seeing one decades ago where I used to work.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Yes they had such kits, I believe they still do. They also make Datsun 240z's - 280z's look like front engine Ferraris. Some kit makers have altered the kits so that they look good, but not copying Ferraris.

And of course the 356 Porsche kits are still loved, and then making V8 Ferrari Daytona's, and also Shelby Daytona's

And then always the Shelby Cobra's.

:)

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    As you might guess, I would like to design and market my own kit cars.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^Using his organization of unionized hookers SJG will be building rubber band cars and buttplugs from recycled gravy boats and touring the Mexican bathhouses in his motorhome with a modified engine that runs on gravy.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Glad you understand 25!

SJG
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Shailynn, yes I recall seeing ferrari testarossas asking about $60K a while ago, which seemed ok considering (you get a supercar with a NA V12). But yes, it does require like an annual timing belt change which I think is probably part of the $7.5K annual maintenance you cite and often owner buy new tires every year as well. It's crazy!
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Kit Cars by Lloyd - that is a business that could never fail.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    I have a Lotus Europa; it's a factory kit car. I swear, I can take the entire thing apart with only a 7/16" and 1/2" socket wrench. And a couple screwdrivers....but it's no Fiero....I had a 1984 Fiero! Fun car but no balls at all.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    there is something to be said for owning a car that can be serviced with normal tools.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Fiero's leave a lot to be desired. But you can see why people like to modify them, rear mid-engine.

There are lots of more interesting kits on the market, rear mid engine transverse and longitudinal, and the front engine ones.

What the kit car market has still not done a good job with is in taking the engines from the newer cars which have complex computerized management, like even electronically controlled variable valve timing, and making kits using them. And of course getting all the electronics to work, with the wiring harnesses, is part of the challenge.

Before Rockstar you posted about getting that high power experience, but at lower speed. I understand what you mean, having a car with sensible engine displacement means you can use high throttle and high rpm and at sensible speeds. This is good.

And then about carburation versus fuel injection. You spoke about 4 carbs. I thought about your lotus. I suspect it has its four carbs, maybe horizontal, and probably with no real intake manifold.

So of course this makes it drive differently than a car with a long manifold. And fuel injected cars are intended for daily drive, and so they are intended to give good power at lower RPM, so they have fairly long manifolds.

With fuel injection, it can be made to put in whatever amount of fuel is called for, within some limits. But with those four carbs with no manifold, the amount of high RPM air which can go in is so much higher. This is what makes the difference.

Then, some continuous feed fuel injection systems place valve timing restrictions, so that fuel is not hitting exhaust, or getting spit back up.

The timed or sequential systems work better, and yield higher HP per liter.

And then the direct or high pressure systems, forcing fuel directly into the combustion chamber under compression, work even better, like 100hp per liter naturally aspirated. Consider that Scion Subaru FRS, 200hp, 2 liters, and at sensible RPM.

And them some Porshe's now have telescoping intake manifolds, and some extreme cars have two intake systems, one small and long, and one short and large.

So, these challenges are being met.

Lots of people have bought huge engine cars, I think they just like the idea that it can move about with very low RPM. Guy had me drive his V8 MBZ back from the airport. Very hard to get that over 1100 RPM. Really need to have room in front, and then floor it.

But making a car like this, just for effect, and when it won't be driven at insane speeds, is wasteful.

Also, lots of Americans have not been used to shifting gears. They put their car into top gear ( used to be 3rd ) at 25 mph. So then on freeway ramps and hills they don't down shift, and they feel that they should not have to.

People used to smaller engines and higher rpm's know better.

One good thing is that most of the new cars are getting more automatic trans gears, and a wider range. I think this is the effect of the hybrid electrics, as these simulate infinite gears.

Most people had been accustomed to the car having its top speed in top gear. So say, 6000 rpm for 120mph. But then for 60mph , 3000 rpm.

People are starting to see that if you want real good gas mileage, you need a higher gear, higher than what the vehicle could make maximum speed with.

So there is progress, as I see it.

And most of the makes now have really steered down their engine sizes, often using turbos or direct high pressure injection to get power with the smaller engines.

SJG
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    The Europa has 2 Stromberg carbs in US form like mine. They are finicky and need to be tuned monthly if you want them spot on. It's a 1.6 L DOHC engine that's like half of a Ferrari 308 engine. Re-boared Ford block with the Lotus head.

The Euro versions used Webers which are far superior, but finding a Weber head is almost impossible these days and they cost $$$$ if you do. Some people have bodged up adapters.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    dual carbs on inline 4 cylinder, that has always seemed hard.

Most 4 cylinder inlines use 1, 3, 4, 2 firing order, or the same thing in reverse.

So if you have two carbs, like 1 and 2, and the other for 3 and 4, there will be savaging.

Where I have seen this is in TR4's. And they have these equalizer tubes, and those don't really work.

So if you were to do it, you could have 1 and 4, connected to a long tube manifold which gets a distance away from the engine. Then you could have the other connected to 2 and 3, and by a manifold which stays close, buts somehow loops the tubes.

This would be analogus the the old high low manifolds which work on some V8's to use a 4 bbl carb and make it so front and rear of one head, plus the two middles off the other, use two of the bbls, a primary and secondary. And then the opposite, though raised up a bit, on the other side.

This is about the only way I can see that you could make two carbs work on inline 4.

They could be two bbl progressives also.

Otherwise need just one carb, or 4 carbs.

Inline 6 is usually not a problem, one carb, 2 carbs, 3 carbs, 6 carbs. Usually the firing order lets this work. Consider Datsun 240Z. And then doubled for a 12 cylinder Ferrari, could be 1, 2, 4, 6, or 12.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion