tuscl

Cities Think Strip Clubs Are Bad for Neighborhoods. This Study Says Otherwise

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs

6 comments

• dallas702
    8 years ago
    The fact is; strip clubs are "soft targets" that are easily used by wanna-be city council members and wanna-be Sheriffs in stump speeches at PTA meetings. Facts are irrelevant.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Detroit City Council repeatedly visits this subject and updates ordinances. Briefly, it has an effect on the clubs, then it's back to normal business. The Penthouse club was featured when an out of towner wandered too far in the surrounding neighborhood, was mugged and killed. My sympathies to his family, but City clubbing is a big city issue. Don't be a fool !
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Strip Clubs (or any adult business) has the potential to being in (unwanted) seconary effects.

Drug use and sale, crime, prostitution, "undesirables" who loiter in the area nearby, etc

To what degree and how bad? Need to be measured. Often the clubs are in industrial or other low population dense commercial areas. Which helps to minimize secondary effects.

But some patrons the secondary effect of prostitution is the main draw of the club. So you take the good with the bad. It just depends on the degree and does it actually negatively affect the surrounding area?
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    Blight is a problem in many neighborhoods. Is a well maintained and policed adult place of business more of a liability than another abandoned building gathering trash in the lot, weeds, graffiti and eventually becoming a fire hazard? Detroit (and other cities to be fair) are loaded with that already, you'd think they would want to keep the businesses they have (and at least collect the tax revenue therefrom)

But I'm sure I'm only preaching to the choir....
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    2 years ago I downsized my home. I sold my 3,000 sq ft house for one half that size. I'm single. I could have bought the same house 10 miles away in the adjacent county for $50K less. there were 2 strip clubs in that county that got shut down but they were not the cause of the huge drop in property values. It was the board of education. The school system was so bad that the governor of Georgia had to step in and dissolve the existing board. That was over 5 years ago and the county has not rebounded. It continues to become blight.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Strip clubs often bring in well-off customers, people who want safety and law and order so they can park their cars.

I think the trashing the neighborhood argument is specious, made by those who just don't like strip clubs, and especially don't like the women.

SJG

World's first performance of the microtonal Fluid Piano
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-yY2egB…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion