tuscl

Deja Vu in Highland Park (near Detroit) gets shut down

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/deja-…

"HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. - Police are shutting down the Deja Vu nightclub on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park.
Officers searched the building before locking it up for the next 6 months, per a court order.
Highland Park police said a sting in December uncovered all kinds of violations including strippers selling sex to customers. The club also was raided back in 2016 by police and twice has violated a consent agreement with the city.
Neighbors have been fed up with the club which cops say is often over-capacity.
"Broken glass all the time. Bottles, cars parked where they're not supposed to be parked. A lot of break-ins over here around the time that they're open. So, definitely going to be good to have them gone," said Eric Thomas, who lives near Deja Vu.
Another neighbor said she agrees with shutting down the place, but she worries about the girls with families to support. She herself was a dancer some 30-plus years ago.
"I didn't like it," said Faith. "But 'the show must go on' and I kept doing what I had to do. And then when I came to a conclusion that that life was not for me because it was detrimental for me. It was dangerous -- drugs, pimps, all that stuff."
Faith said she hopes the dancers use this interruption of business as a way to get out of the club and back into a classroom like she did.
"If they could relive their lives, I think they need to learn how to re-do their lives. Don't give up and go to another place and start it over again, because they're going to age-out. They're going to age-out. As you age-out, who is gonna look at (you)? ... they need to be better prepared to come out of that line of work," she said.
The club will be closed until Nov. 9. Whether its owners have to file any paperwork or sign another consent agreement with the city before they can reopen is unclear for now."

Honestly, whenever I drove by it, it seemed closed anyway. This club was raided in early 2014 that had a lot of media coverage attached to it due to all of the violations though. Erotic City, here in Detroit, was also recently shut down as well.

17 comments

• Corvus
    8 years ago
    You just have to love great journalism, "the club was raided back in 2016..."
  • ReiDetroit
    8 years ago
    I think the article is automatically transcribed from the video. This site often has grammatical errors in their articles.
    However, yes. Somebody should proof the articles before posting indeed. But, ehh, it's Detroit. ;)
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    "Highland Park police said a sting in December uncovered all kinds of violations including strippers selling sex to customers."

I can't believe strippers would have sex with customers in a nice community like Highland Park.
  • georgebailey
    8 years ago
    Highland Park has lots of history.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I guess the chances for OTC have hust gone-up in the Highland Park area.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I guess as long as SCs are in residential areas they will be often harassed.
  • ReiDetroit
    8 years ago
    Just a mile or so down the road from DJV in Highland Park is a known streetwalker hub and numerous rinky dink (probably hourly) motels. And 8 Mile is about two or three miles further down anyway. Those girls have several career options lol.
    However, most of those SWs are trans though, so at least their local competition is hardly competition for them.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    This isn't the typical corporate Deja Vu. I wonder if management really cares if it reopens. A few years back they took this club out of the rotation for the travelling competition events for the Michigan DJV clubs. I knew some dancers from Lansing that had to go there for an event Didn't even try to sell dances. Just stayed in the corner begging for the night to end.
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    Damn. Should we cancel the June meetup?
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    No, John. I tend to doubt we'd go there. DejaVu, the memories !!
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Just for fun I typed in Highland Park into Realtor.com last night. Man, there were houses for $2,500 and some for $15,000 that had actually been remodeled. Crazy
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    This is related to the "renaissance " of Detroit. The development is creeping up Woodward from grand Circus and with the light rail it will only accelerate. This property is the next real estate hot zone as affordability will drive the residency curve. Detroit is working to shine it 's image and move all this out to 8 mile. As a street wise white boy I haven't been to this place in thirty years . Too fuckin' dangerous. Not a loss. Ther are much better clubs all over town and most of them are not nearly as ghetto as this place is/was.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    Scanning thru the reviews ranged from funny to scary.....

The parking lot attendant pulled a gun on a customer

On weekends they grill pork chops and hot dogs

Weed is apparently openly for sale

• NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    I used to live a few blocks away from that club, on the Detroit side of Mcnichols (6 mile). The club is at the intersection of 6 and Woodward, which is one of the main areas where you will find the high volume of trans streetwalkers.

I went to the club once on a lesbian friend of mine's birthday. It was quite packed, ghetto, and blunts were being conspicuously smoked everywhere. I've heard of lots of brawls and shootings there. There are way better options for urban clubs in the Detroit area.
  • NinaBambina
    8 years ago
    Said Shailynn "Just for fun I typed in Highland Park into Realtor.com last night. Man, there were houses for $2,500 and some for $15,000 that had actually been remodeled. Crazy"

Before I move out of state in the next year or two I tentatively plan to buy a couple of these cheap Detroit houses as an investment. It's an idea I have thought about.
  • bvino
    8 years ago
    You would be better buying open lots in Ypsilanti. Ypsi will come back before Highland Park ever does.
  • Lone_Wolf
    8 years ago
    The hood rats are going to party somewhere. If not at this club, where will they go?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion