tuscl

Watch: Artists Use An Atlanta Strip Club to Hit the Big Time

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Watch: Artists Use An Atlanta Strip Club to Hit the Big Time

11 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    http://flavorwire.com/526547/watch-artis…

I know Papi_Chulo loves this about as much as I do. :)
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    For a demographic that complains about being financially disadvantaged, I see a whole lotta cash just being thrown on the ground.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    That's cool Scat,just no videos of you twerking.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    @Motorhead because a handful of knuckleheads have money to throw in the club doesn't mean the entire population does. Blacks as a whole are the poorer group in our nation. Whether we like to admit it or not , centuries of systematic oppression has seriously disadvantaged black people (slavery, Jim crow, and then just passive discrimination with housing and jobs) I'm a well spoken individual who experienced discrimination in CA. Society still can't believe that a person of a certain decent can be educated, intelligent, and most importantly, responsible. I left CA when a younger new hire white guy with no experience and quite unintelligent (compared to my years of experience ) was offered a promotion. I realized then it was a matter of racial bias. So whole I agree there are a whole lot of dumb ass niggas out there, there are still a lot of nice white people who practice discrimination based solely on their beliefs of a certain race.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    GACA,

In my 66+ years on this planet and living in the same area all those years, I seen change. The re were three basic groups in my formative years, blacks, Mexicans, and whites. Pretty much all lied in their specific areas. There were "rich" and "poor" sub areas in each of the three major ones. Segregated, yes, but the living conditions were quite similar.

Where things started to go wrong were when the liberals decided to "help' the black population with the "Great Society" programs of Johnson. It has been down hill ever since. I can go to the any of the areas where I've spent all my years, and the one that has had significant change is the black area, and all for the worse.

We were pretty much past the "slavery, Jim crow, and then just passive discrimination with housing and jobs" as you state.

Wasn't the people, but rather the government "help" that has created the problems we face today. Just in the last 6 1/2 years we have taken a drastic turn towards even worse times thanks to the race mongers. No need to point them out from the instigator in chief on down.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    GACA,
    It's been 150 years since President Lincoln signed the Emmancipation Proclamation. It's been 50 years since President Johnson signed the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

As shameful and debilitating as the peculiar institution was, continuing to blame it for the poverty and depredations of black Americans all these years later is a bit of a stretch.

How do first generation Asian immigrants get into Stanford and Harvard? And they are even more disadvantaged because they often do not even speak English.

Perhaps the black community needs to pay a little more attention to what guys like Charles Barkley and Bill Cosby (well, maybe not Bill Cosby) are saying.

--

Whenever I hear "white privilege" I can't help but remember a presentation I sat in on a couple of years ago. The management team of a hugely successful, but small (about 800 on the Fortune 500 list) biomedical company gave a talk. When asked why there were no minorities on the management team, the COO responded that they have tried to recruit blacks. They've put full page ads in the Wall Street Journal and USA Today. They recruit all the Ivy League MBA schools. But they cannot attract any AA, because the high achievers want to work on Wall Street and in NYC, not is a small Mid-Western town. So this company gets tagged for not hiring black executives. Lol.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    Well said GACA.

Good points Motor, but I think it's hard to make assumptions if you haven't walked a day in their shoes.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    @Motorhead: "How do first generation Asian immigrants get into Stanford and Harvard? And they are even more disadvantaged because they often do not even speak English. "

It's a matter of how you're brought up. Asians who come to the US all have a culture of respect for education and family. Parents sacrifice for their children so that they may be in a better life than they were. When a poor Asian family opens a business, the whole family works in it. You see that culture with Jewish families too.

While there are black families that also stress education, far too many do not. Education as seen as a "white man's game" rather than a vehicle to get ahead. And because of the prejudice that still exists, many black find they have to be even better than their white counterparts to get ahead. As GACA pointed out, even then it's not always enough.

I didn't have the disadvantages growing up that immigrant Asians and blacks do so maybe I'm just talking nonsense, but it seems to me that respect for education is the single most important thing to teach our children as far as how to have an economically successful life. I had it, and my children were taught that as well.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Oh, Rochester.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Ranukam - I totally agree with that. I do not have a frame of reference.

But Charles Barkley does, and he questions why a successful black QB Russell Wilson gets criticized for "not being black enough" because he is super intelligent and very well spoken.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Rockstar - You totally nailed it. That's my point. The blame does lie squarely with the culture and the parents. Somehow education needs to emphasized as the key to breaking the cycle of poverty rather then pinning their hopes on the rare chance of making millions as a hip hop artist or an NBA/NFL player.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion