tuscl

Why do men exist?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
From Men's health:

"Scientific study offers an explanation

Since in many species, sperm is males' only contribution to reproduction, biologists have long puzzled about why evolutionary selection, known for its ruthless efficiency, allows them to exist.

Now British scientists have an explanation: Males are required for a process known as "sexual selection" which helps species to ward off disease and avoid extinction.

A system where all offspring are produced without sex -- as in all-female asexual populations -- would be far more efficient at reproducing greater numbers of offspring, the scientists said.

But in research published in the journal Nature on Monday, they found that sexual selection, in which males compete to be chose by females for reproduction, improves the gene pool and boosts population health, helping explain why males are important.

An absence of selection -- when there is no sex, or no need to compete for it -- leaves populations weaker genetically, making them more vulnerable to dying out.

"Competition among males for reproduction provides a really important benefit, because it improves the genetic health of populations," said professor Matt Gage, who led the work at Britain's University of East Anglia.

"Sexual selection achieves this by acting as a filter to remove harmful genetic mutations, helping populations to flourish and avoid extinction in the long-term."

Almost all multi-cellular species reproduce using sex, but its existence is not easy to explain biologically, Gage said, because sex has big downsides -- including that only half of the offspring, the daughters, will produce offspring themselves.

"Why should any species waste all that effort on sons?" he said.

In their study, Gage's team evolved Tribolium flour beetles over 10 years under controlled laboratory conditions, where the only difference between populations was the intensity of sexual selection during each adult reproductive stage.

The strength of sexual selection ranged from intense competition -- where 90 males competed for only 10 females -- through to the complete absence of sexual selection, with monogamous pairings in which females had no choice and males no competition.

After seven years of reproduction, representing about 50 generations, the scientists found that populations where there had been strong sexual selection were fitter and more resilient to extinction in the face of inbreeding.

But populations with weak or non-existent sexual selection showed more rapid declines in health under inbreeding, and all went extinct by the tenth generation."

20 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    If this explanation is true then is Mother Nature using homosexuals to keep them out of the gene pool.
  • UKfan
    9 years ago
    Explains why I can't get a girl without paying for it. I am skinny, young looking, and have a high voice. Girls are just simply not sexually attracted to me. However they are attracted to my money.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Lol
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    If Adam was gay, that would have ruined God's plan for the human race to spread forth and multiply
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Why do men exist? Somebody has to be in charge of the remote.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Um, that's not new. I heard that explanation in high school biology.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    So I exist to succeed in fucking as many women as possible. And it took scientistific research to figure this out? 5 minutes on tuscl and that would be readily apparent.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    if they had studied the men that strippers choose as boyfriends, I think the study would have come to a different conclusion.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Well the new part of it was the beetle study. But yes, this agrees with most hypotheses on the reason many species evolved sexual selection.

Of course, humans are one of the few species that fuck for pleasure. Human women can be aroused when they aren't ovulating, which isn't true for most mammals. We also have elaborate social structures.

I'm most intrigued by bonobos, who have both prostitution and homosexual acts (although most male bonobos swing both ways because they're horny bastards who just want a hole).
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^lol True story @JS69
  • Diva1975
    9 years ago
    What are bonobos?
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    These ideas are not new at all. But humans can live in lots of different ways. We can be more like chimpanzees or we can be more like bonobos.

SJG
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    This is real duh stuff.
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    In a hunter-gather society, that would make sense (physical and immunity strength are only things that matters)... but that explanation isn't working out too well in the present day, knowledge based economy. Dumb-smcuks are out there having 10 kids they can't afford. Educated, upper-middle class, dual-income families only have 1-2 kids. The dumb-ass well-fair populate is rapidly out numbering the folks with enough gray matter to keep life as we know it from coming unglued.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Diva,

Fucking apes!
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Someone has seen Idiocracy!
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    If you're too dumb to figure how a condom works you have an evolutionary advantage.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Natural selection was moot to sexual selection a long time ago. But sexual selection/having children will be moot to the Kurzwellian singularity in a couple of generations. Right, SJG?
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    One thing I've noticed is that women tend to interpret social status and social functionality as evidence of genetic fitness. They aren't.

More and more men are being coached to engage in posturing of one sort or another.

It all amounts to just silliness.

But we throw potential intelligence out by the bucketful, via our educational system. We all are capable of learning much more than we typically do within the limits of our culture.

So I don't see genetics as a big deal anyway.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion