tuscl

No tipping the strippers.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
City leaders in Galveston are considering a ban against tipping strippers as part of a crack down on sexually oriented businesses. If approved, the more than 50-page proposed ordinance would lead to tough restrictions on strip clubs with violators facing fines or even jail time.

"I believe the council should adopt the strongest ordinance allowed by law," Councilwoman Elizabeth Beeton told KTRK 13 News.

Whispers Cabaret, a strip club, is reportedly the only sexually oriented business inside the city limits.

The ordinance would make it illegal for customers to tip nude or semi-nude dancers, punishable by up to a $4,000 fine and a year in jail.

"By what's written in the law, it would put this business out of business," said R. J. Purdue, the owner of Whispers.

Purdue is referring to the fact that the ordinance would make it illegal for customers to tip nude or semi-nude dancers, punishable by up to a $4,000 fine and a year in jail. The ordinance also addresses motels which rent rooms for less than a full night.

Beeton says she believes the proposed ordinance will help cut down on crime.

"We have complaints by the residents who live near them," she said. "The police have tried to respond, but to some extent, their hands are tied."

Galveston police chief Henry Porretto says, however, that Whispers isn't a major source of crime.

"To my knowledge, and according to official reports, the last two and a half or three years, we have no major calls for service or continued complaints," Chief Porretto said.

Beeton says the ordinance, which is based on similar ordinances that have been upheld in court, is for preventing future crime in addition to solving current problems.

At this time the Galveston city council has not scheduled a vote for the new stripper ordinance.

This council woman sounds like a real CUNT.

14 comments

• crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    That will kill the sc industry in that town
  • gawker
    11 years ago
    Elizabeth Beeton must think that she knows what's good for others better than they do themselves. So much for free choice.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    they will raise the price of LDs to make up for it.
  • shadowcat
    11 years ago
    Samsung - Do you really think the new laws are going to allow lap dances?
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Well she CAN'T pass the law with just her own single VOTE. it takes whatever number is required by the city's law for passing new laws.

So I think you may need to cuss out abd attack more than just her.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Sorry - should be "cuss out and attack".
  • jestrite50
    11 years ago
    Sounds like she just wants to cause problems for a legit business because she doesn't like it. The police even say its a problem free club.
    She is probably a former dancer with an axe to grind LOL !
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Typical case of going after low hanging fruit.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    I could imagine if the definition of semi nude applied to anyone showing their legs or mid section, all restaurants could go out of business in town or all tipping could cease. Surely putting an end to all business activity would deter future crime even more. I mean you need to get rid of all the people to get rid of all the potential future crime using this woman's logic.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    She probably has a beef with the strip club.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    Just more communism.
  • georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    No, @deogol, that would be fascism, not communism.
  • crazyjoe
    11 years ago
    Duct tape that lady to a flag pole
  • gatorfan
    11 years ago
    I only tip cows.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion