tuscl

Is "Gringo" a Pejorative Term

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
If you've paid any attention to my posts, you may remember that "Chopped" is one of my favorite TV shows. One of the judges (who I happen to like), Aarón Sánchez, used the word on a recent episode.

He was critical of a dish prepared by a Mexican chef for not being hot enough. Sanchez told him he "gringoed it down."

Keep in mind that the Food Network is the same network that fired one of it's most popular chefs, Paula Deen for using a racial slur years ago. (and not on the air).

Double standard? Is Gringo acceptable?

14 comments

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    Depends upon your "Political Correctness".
  • jackslash
    11 years ago
    Hey, Gringo. Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    The word Gringo itself isn't a derogatory word. It can be deragatory if said and inflected in a certain manner.

The word comes from Spain and was originally used to denote somebody who couldn't speak Castilian without having an accent. It was an 18th century word pre-dating the folklore associated with Green Go songs.
  • DoctorPhil
    11 years ago
    well Sonia Sotomayor, a new yorican, got a pass and was appointed as the second ever hispanic justice to the us supreme court despite her famous racist statement and numerous racist court rulings. so, precedent having been established, simply referring to someone as a gringo can’t be considered racist as long as that someone is a white non-hispanic male.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    A WASP, the worst people in the world!
  • Cheo_D
    11 years ago
    What SlickSpic (notice the username?) said: it originally just meant any non-Spanish-speaker in a colloquial sense, nothwitstanding the Urban Myths about it. It became "polarized" and specifically linked to Anglo-Americans relatively late in the overall history of the continent. It CAN be used derogatorily but it's not automatic but rather a context thing.

Mexican-Americans do have the term "gabacho" which is more clearly predominantly pejorative in use.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    Clearly, Sanchez did not use it in a derogatory way
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    It's comparable to Americans using terms like Kraut, Limey, Diego, etc. Not as hostile as Indio or the N-word. In S. America gringo can mean any non-Hispanic of European origin.

Bolillo is a more derogatory term that N. Mexicans use for Anglos.
  • ilbbaicnl
    11 years ago
    There's just no name for a citizen of the USA that somebody won't like. Latinos call us North Americans but that of course could be offensive to Canadians.
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Titty you Witty!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    We must also realize that I am Slick. And I am a Spic. Don't think that a "Gringo" like you can catch me so quick.? Mmmmmmmmmmmm hheeeeeehhheeeeehhheee. Even LordxBetty knows that those Ancient Chinese Secrets only go so far.
  • Clubber
    11 years ago
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me!
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    I have Aztec Gold and Spanish Dubloonad
  • SlickSpic
    11 years ago
    Fuck I Phone
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion