tuscl

NYPD sting charges 156 johns in second massive prostitution bust in metropolitan

Cops said Operation Losing Proposition has netted more than 900 arrests since 2011, also seizing about 220 vehicles used by solicitors of prostitutes.

The NYPD's announcement of 156 johns being arrested in New York City follows Monday's announcement that 104 johns were busted in Nassau County.

A prostitution sting put in place across roughly half the city has been an arrest machine, leading to the arrest of 156 johns last week alone, police said Thursday.

Police also seized 32 vehicles during the latest application of Operation Losing Proposition, held Thursday through Saturday in 28 of the city's 76 police precincts.

The operation targets johns in areas where people have made several complaints about prostitutes working the streets, cops said.

“The department is focusing on the demand side of the equation,” NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said in a statement. “The exploitation of women is not a victimless crime.”

The operation has netted more than 900 arrests since 2011, and cops have seized about 220 vehicles used by johns.
Kelly said the NYPD has also established a Human Trafficking Squad within the Vice Division of the department's Organized Crime Control Bureau.

The officers assisted in last month's arrest of Taye Ellerby, 35, who allegedly forced two women and a teenage runaway from Connecticut to prostitute themselves in his East Harlem apartment.
“The brutal sex trafficking industry, which preys on and victimizes New York City's most vulnerable women, men and children, is fueled by prostitution patronizers, who believe that they can buy the bodies of people in prostitution with impunity,” said Dorchen Leidholdt, director of the Sanctuary for Families' Center for Battered Women's Legal Services. “Attacking the demand for prostitution is the best way to prevent and curtail trafficking in our city.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd…

7 comments

• georgmicrodong
    11 years ago
    Ban all PROSTITUTES!
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Not surprised at all with the Mayoral election coming.
  • mmdv26
    11 years ago
    While I think prostitution should be legalized, licensed and taxed, I think the "streetwalking" form of hooking should not be allowed.
  • Dougster
    11 years ago
    “The department is focusing on the demand side of the equation,” NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said in a statement. “The exploitation of women is not a victimless crime.”

What percentage of the women are trafficked? Also is it justified to deny a livelihood to those who are not being coerced because some are? There are agricultural workers in the US who are not getting paid and work only under coercion. Is the solution to attack the demand for food?
  • bang69
    11 years ago
    all the johns got was a court sumins & the girs a very $$$$ ticket
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    "I think the "streetwalking" form of hooking should not be allowed"

This is often where the dregs are. Even if you legalize other options the dregs will still walk the streets because the legal options are closed to them.

Though I did some smoking hot street walkers in Berlin, solid 8's.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    *did SEE some, wasn't in a situation where I could partake, not sure if I would have even if I could have.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion