tuscl

Swiping driver's licenses?

emmett
New Jersey
Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:47 AM
I saw a discussion on another website about Cadillac Lounge (Providence RI) swiping driver's licenses on entry. There were a few such reports, so I'm guessing this is actually happening, at least sometimes. In case the problem isn't clear: if they are capturing this information, they can in theory store it forever, and do whatever they want with it. Or even if their intentions are good, a hacker or disgruntled employee could potentially have access to the information. Maybe they aren't storing the information, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on what the strip club is telling me. Is this happening anywhere else? I haven't seen this elsewhere, (although I haven't visited any club since the first report). I wrote to the club, asked if it was true, and if so, stated that competing clubs would get my business while as long as they were doing this. Haven't gotten a response. I encourage other TUSCLers, especially those in RI, to tell Cadillac Lounge what you think of this practice.

18 comments

• Alucard
    11 years ago
    Tell them by not entering this club. Take your business elsewhere.
  • gsv
    11 years ago
    Lots of clubs in NYC swipe ids. This isn't to store info, it's generally just a quick way to check if an id is valid.
  • Papi_Chulo
    11 years ago
    Some clubs do this. I’ve also heard this is pretty common in Prince George’s County Maryland clubs.
  • sclvr5005
    11 years ago
    I have had this happen occasionally at Rhino clubs in California. I've let them scan my DL but I was uncomfortable doing so.
  • SoonerSam
    11 years ago
    They do it in some West Virginia clubs, too.
  • deogol
    11 years ago
    "Lose" it.
  • Alucard
    11 years ago
    Beware.
  • samsung1
    11 years ago
    Vanity in Columbus used to do this many years ago but they don't do it anymore. They used to be a private nude club now it's a topless pasties club serving booze.
  • motorhead
    11 years ago
    I usually pay my utility bill on-line, but was at the gas company on another matter so decided to pay my bill in person. They asked for ID. I called BS on that. I said if I'm paying cash why should I show you my ID.
  • jester214
    11 years ago
    I have no issue with this.
  • sharkhunter
    11 years ago
    One club did it one time. I was suspicious about it especially when they dropped it within the week. Maybe a bunch of people said no thanks and left.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    RE- gsv-"This isn't to store info".................. Afaic, having a license scanned into anything is like having ones sperm in a vagina. Unintended consequences happen in either case. Dealbreaker for me. Maybe founder should add another club info item "mandatory ID scan" to club review section. To be clear, I mean scan, showing ID without scan or otherwise handing over to club employee OK for me.
  • emmett
    11 years ago
    minnow: I agree on all points.
  • skibum609
    11 years ago
    As a frequent attendee at Providence strip clubs the answer is yes CL does this and no its the one club I never, ever go to, but not because of this. Their management is awful. The dancers set their own rates, upselling is rampant and cheating frequent. You have to be on guard all the time in blow job city and given the other choices I go elsewhere. hated the club when it was b.y.o.b and hate it more now. If your thing is a blowjob from an overrated dancer with the possibility of being ripped off a thrill...head on down.
  • Harderlap
    11 years ago
    In Albuquerque, most of the clubs scan your driver's license upon entering. They can quickly check for proper drinking age this way. The NM alcohol control board is really tough on serving minors and the scan serves as a check that the bar is trying not to admit people underage. I have been told that the information is wiped each night and is not stored. I know in one case of a shooting outside of a club here, the scanned infomration was used to ID the shooter.
  • thenumber10
    11 years ago
    This is towards the bottom of the list of reasons why I don't go to CL and drive past it to others. That place is just every Hollywood Cliche about how SCs are bad.
  • steve3003
    11 years ago
    Yea, seems there's an uptick in clubs that do that. No point in getting your license scanned. On to another club.
  • jerikson40
    11 years ago
    When given the choice between a club that does and a club that doesn't, there is no choice. As others have said, just drive on by. Strip clubs aren't that important in the first place, why risk ANYTHING, especially something as important as you ID. The fact that my ID is being scanned by some guy I don't know or trust is reason enough to decide ABSOLUTELY to not patronize that club. You can rationalize, and come up with reasons why bad things can't happen, but none of that matters. It just ain't worth it when there are other clubs nearby. I recall many years ago a local Deja Vu asked you to sign your name before being admitted, though I have no clue why they did that. No thanks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion