tuscl

Stripper shot while dancing in club denied Worker's Compensation

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

RICHLAND COUNTY, SC (WIS) - An exotic dancer who was shot when a fight broke out in a Two Notch Road strip club in 2008 has been denied Worker's Compensation benefits by the South Carolina Court of Appeals.

LeAndra Lewis was hit by stray gunfire while dancing at the Boom Boom Room Studio 54 on June 23, 2008. She was 19 and living in Charlotte at the time.

She suffered serious injuries to her intestines, liver, pancreas, kidney, and uterus. Surgeons removed one kidney, and doctors informed her she may never be able to have children due to the injuries to her uterus.

According to her testimony, extensive scarring from the gunshot wound left her unemployable as an exotic dancer.

Lewis, who frequently danced at clubs in North and South Carolina, filed a claim for benefits with the workers' compensation commission. Because the club had no insurance, the South Carolina Uninsured Employers' Fund was forced to defend.

During testimony, Lewis said she typically made $250-$350 per night and she danced 5-6 nights a week. A court filing estimated her total yearly income to be approximately $82,500.

Both the single commissioner and the appellate panel denied Lewis's claim based on the finding that she was not an employee of the club.

Her appeal then went directly to the Court of Appeals.

Her counsel argued that because the club's managers controlled her when she entered the building she should have been considered an employee of the business. Lewis said she was told when to dance, what music to dance to, and to pay a "tip out" fee each night.

She also argued that she and the club has an employment relationship because the club furnished equipment such as a stage, poles to assist dancers, and private rooms for V.I.P. dances.

"The club provided the dancers with cleaning solution, towels, and a basket for collecting money while on stage, and the club provided the dancers with lockers for their belongings," said Lewis.

One of Lewis' witness testified that exotic dancers travel from club to club depending on what rappers or actors are there.

The fact that Lewis was not invited to dance at the Boom Boom Room that night and could have left whenever she pleased, according to the court, weighed heavily against finding an employment relationship.

Evidence also showed that the club did not pay Lewis any money to work that night. The only money she made was strictly in the form of cash tips from customers.

The court also was of the opinion that because the club did not tell Lewis how to dance, it did not have complete control over her.

In a majority opinion, the court ruled that Lewis was an independent contractor and therefore not entitled to benefits under the Workers' Compensation Act.

12 comments

• she_is_covfefe
    12 years ago
    That's why it's so important for dancers to pay their taxes, so they can file for SS benefits due to events like this one.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    It's well known the self-employed get no workers compensation nor unemployment. Well, at least amongst the self-employed who run the risk. Apparently it can be deadly.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    I'm sorry the dancer suffered serious injuries. But time and time again we have this same discussion. She wanted to have her cake and eat it too. She knew she was an independent contractor. She should have done the responsible and legal thing - purchase a workman's comp policy. Most, if not all states, require independent contractors to do so. The courts ruled correctly. I'm not going to wring my hands and feel sympathy for her.
  • mjx01
    12 years ago
    That is sad she was hurt...

but you got to pay into SS and workers comp to be elegible
  • Player11
    12 years ago
    What a sad thing to happen to that young lady. I believe the club should be liable somewhere and they get off on a technicality.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    The dissenting judge said the facts established control and employee status.
  • SofaKing
    12 years ago
    She should file a lawsuit in the tort civil court system against the club. Because she was an independent contractor, no employer-employee relationship existed and worker comp is not available as a remedy. But according to law in almost every state, she could sue the club for failing to provide a safe workplace and for negligence. She could wind up owning the club. South Carolina is not a state in which I am licensed to practice law, and it does not offer reciprocal admission to attorneys licensed in other states, or I would file a lawsuit for this dancer.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Good point. As Player said, the club could be liable. But trying to collect workman's comp was not the correct course.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    Good luck with that. The club has been closed for around 3 years.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    ...of course her first thought should have been, "should I be working at a place called the 'Boom Boom' Room?"

And, actually, more appropriately should have been called the "Thunk, Thunk Room"
  • DandyDan
    12 years ago
    I'm not surprised at all by this. One of my favorites injured her ankle while dancing on stage at her club and had to miss several weeks as a result and she told me it was her insurance company who had to pay for it all. She was smart to get insurance. I wonder how many dancers know to get insurance for situations like this.
  • snowtime
    12 years ago
    I think they went for workers compensation because of the high probability of collecting. Surprised they could not proove an employer/employee relationship. Most of the cases that have challenged the independent contractor argument have won. The clubs just exercise too much control (i.e. days, hours, prices, tip out fees, stage requirements, etc.). I suspect most clubs will eventually classify them as employees, pay withholding and unemployment taxes, etc. This will only cause the price to us customers to go up. In the case being discussed, the girl can always institute a tort action as noted above, but the club is probably a corporation with little or no assets. As one poster said, it may well be non existant which would make collecting a judgement very difficult, though not impossible.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion