tuscl

A Bias Against New Clubs

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned a new club that had been opened for a few months now. Other clubs in the same area of the city get a regular trickle of reviews and other clubs in the same city also get a steady stream of reviews. The club was overall pretty good, as I said in my review. Yet my review remains the only one for it.

So it leaves me thinking that there must be some bias against visiting a new club. This would give pause to anybody thinking of opening a club. It made me think about possible reasons for it.

1. Worry that a new club might be getting extra scrutiny from Law Enforcement and be very strict about dancer behavior.

2. Just general anxiety about the unknown.

3. Worry that if the new club is successful it might cause other clubs to decline or fail.

4. Sense of loyalty toward my current club and/or ATF.

5. Worry that if the new club takes some, but not all, of the dancers I like then I will have to divide my time between two clubs.

So which is it or what else might it be? Or do you actually love seeing a new club in your area?

8 comments

• Omega22
    12 years ago
    There hasn't been a new club in Lexington for a while. Or for atleast four years when I became interested in this lifestyle. However if a new club appeared I would definitly be one of the first to try it out. I am adventerous and would actually enjoy seeing a new club. I doubt a new club will pop up in Lexington KY since the competition here is too strong. We have Spearmint Rhino and Platinum Plus while Deja Vu caters to the younger crowd so I doubt a new club could survive unless it was extemely good.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    The last time I visted a brand new club was on Mar 1, 2008. Trojangreg and myself visired the Pink Pony South in Atlanta. The club had only been open a few weeks. We were excited that a new club had opened up on the south side. We hoped that it would be better than what was available at the time in Atlanta.

We were sadly disappointed. The club was beautiful and so were the dancers. But it ended there. Prices were high, dances were nothing but air and the bouncers were all over the place keeping it that way.

I made one more visit about 2 years ago and it had gone down hill. Nothing to offer. The club is now closed due to legal problems.

Since then there have been 3 or 4 new clubs open or reopen with a new name/owners but they have been in areas that I have no desire to go to.

I would give any new club in my area that looks half way decent a shot. Always looking for something better.
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    When Hush Showgirls opened in Toledo, I made a point of visiting several times and filed two reviews. When Platinum Kisses opened, Alucard got it listed then we both reviewed it. Sometimes it takes a while for a new club to get listed on tuscl. I think some people like to try new places, others like to stick with what they know.
  • xedin5436
    12 years ago
    I think it's partially because the club you're talking about is a Deja Vu, which is a pretty known quantity, especially in LA where there's 4 or 5 DV clubs already.

Personally, I'd go check out a new club, but for the kind of money involved with going to clubs out here, there are definitely times that I want to stick with something familiar. I guess that falls closest to #2 in your list (none of the others ever enter my thought process), but it's more of "sticking with what you know" thing instead of a "fear of the unknown" thing. Sort of two sides of the same coin, just a different emphasis.
  • steve229
    12 years ago

I would be ecstatic if a new club opened in my area.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    Interesting, xedin, you think that it isn't a question of unfamiliarity with the club but familiarity with the brand. The odd thing is that, having been to five of the DV clubs in LA that the clubs vary widely, far more than for example the SR clubs do.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    About 2 years ago the Hustler Club opened in the Detroit area. They did a lot of advertising, describing it as a new upscale gentlemen's club. I reviewed it, and now I see that it has 131 reviews. So I don't see any evidence of bias against a new club in this instance.
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    12 years ago
    Inno, the points that you and xedin raise are all valid concerns and reasons for skepticism about a new club. I sense that a common reaction is the wish for someone else to try it first and get their experience before investing the money in trying a new club. Club-going is expensive compared to other forms of entertainment. Patrons would like some assurance that their money will be well spent before going there. My own reaction to a new club opening is to go to it once at opening, then sparingly (two or three) times in its first year. After a year, it should settle into a predictable and known quantity.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion