tuscl

Hot time at the strip club last night!

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
A notorious Lake City{Seattle} strip club in the process of being reopened under new ownership burned in a two-alarm fire Thursday night, though little damage was visible from the outside.

The site of the former Rick's Nightclub at 11332 Lake City Way N.E. was bought late last month by the Déjà Vu company, which renamed the site DreamGirls at Ricks. Workers were preparing for its opening and were outside painting Thursdaywhen the fire began, Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore said.

The room workers had been in was where the blaze started, and when firefighters entered the club was filled with black smoke.

Fire spread through a wall and the ceiling, and firefighters became concerned when the roof became soft on the building, which was built in 1935 and had been previously renovated.

Signs for DreamGirls at Ricks went up earlier this month. It wasn't clear how much the blaze would set back the opening. The site was sold at auction recently for $2.35 million – a price higher than expected, likely because no mew use permits are required from the Department of Planning and Development to make the site a strip club again. The previous use permit doesn't expire, department spokesman Bryan Stevens said earlier this year.

It's possible a construction permit of some sort might be needed, Stevens said, but that wouldn't require a neighborhood review, just that the new owner meet technical codes.

Rick's was seized in 2010 as part of the racketeering prosecution of Frank Colacurcio Sr., his son Frank Jr. and their associates. The elder Colacurcio died last summer, and his son pleaded guilty, agreeing to forfeit more than $1 million and his interest in four strip clubs and the group's nearby Talents West office, which also was auctioned late last month.

The Talents West site was sold for $600,000, but the winning bidder did not say what he intended to do with the property. The bidder who lost out had hoped to tear the property down and build apartments.

Dreamgirls is also the name of the company's club at 1530 First Ave. S., which opened in April 2010 near Safeco Field despite challenges from the Seattle Mariners organization.

Déjà Vu also has a strip club less than two miles away from the site of Thursday's fire at 14556 Bothell Way N.E., technically part of Lake Forest Park because it's about 240 feet over the North Seattle boundary.

DreamGirls at Ricks would be the second North Seattle strip club to open this year. On July 12, Pandora's Adult Cabaret opened at the site of the former Seven Seas Chinese restaurant at 8914 Lake City Way N.E. Read more about Pandora's here.

The Rick's auction was conducted by Emily Macon of Northwest Auctions. Part of that auction can be heard below, courtesy of Northwest Auctions partner Paul Thoma

10 comments

• Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    At first there were suspicions of arson--being that Deja Vu was a strong rival to Talents West who formerly operated Rick's at the same site. TV interviews with Seattle Fire Department personnel would seem to make it clear that the fire was accidental in nature.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    From a onetime volunteer firefighter (70% of all US firefighters are volunteers), once "the roof becomes soft", this presents all kinds of problems. It will be hell convincing the city engineer that the building is safe. If there's further construction, it will be a while.

As for fighting fires in pre 1960 buildings, those places are firetraps and go very quickly. I've been lucky to survive two roof collapses. A roof collapse will really ruin your day.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Fire crews said a fire that filled the Bottomz Up Gentlemen's Club with smoke Friday morning started in the DJ booth.
    Jacksonville Fire-Rescue responded to a fire and the club at 3909 Blanding Boulevard just before 8 a.m. There were no visible flames, but smoke was seen coming from the building.
    JFRD spokesman Tom Francis said the initial fire was put out quickly, but had to pursue smoke and hot spots through the attic and roof structure.
    No one was hurt in the fire. Confederate Point Road was closed at Blanding for about one hour due to the fire.
    Fire investigators were looking into the cause of the fire, but said it did not seem suspicious.

• samsung1
    13 years ago
    The Dreamgirls strip club here in Columbus recently changed their name to Sirens. I wonder if it is because of Deja Vu having some sort of claim to the "dreamgirls" name and asked them to change it.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Ahh yes, Jewish lightning. (No offense intended to our Jewish members) One of my former bosses, who was Jewish used the term when describing "suspicious" restaurant fires.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    Two Jewish fellows on Miami Beach. One says, "My business burned down in NY, so I am living on insurance." Second fellow say, "My business was blown down by a tornado." First fellow, "How do you start a tornado?"
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Aw shucks, Clubber. When's the next hurricane going to strike Florida. I know at least one club in Miami that should be blown down.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    vm,

If I knew that answer, I could make a lot of cash.

You want me to stop in your favorite club and tell them "howdy" for you?
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    vm,

I would like to start a hurricane to blow my house down. Maybe I can find a big bad wolf instead.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Sure, Clubber, please say "Hola" to "G", "N" and all the lovelies. With "G", you should get several dances, also.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion