tuscl

New York Cabbies Offended by Strip Club Taxi Tops

New York cabbies aren't pleased with the proliferation of taxi tops pimping strip clubs. One cabbie, Mohan Singh told the New York Post, "My children ask me, 'What is this? I want to go to a gentlemen's club? What should I answer?"

Currently, taxi medallion owners decide what does and doesn't get placed atop their cabs. Cab owners have no say. But TLC Commissioner David Yassky has said he's willing to allow drivers who own their own taxis have the final say. A final decision will me made in September when it meets.

http://www.adrants.com/2011/07/new-york-…

8 comments

• gsv
    13 years ago
    That's funny...you know it's true that a lot of cabs seem to feature Flashdancers, Private Eyes, or New York Dolls. But to be quite honest, I'm sure the advertising works.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    Hopefully it does not turn into Las Vegas where the clubs start bribing the cabbies to take tourists to their clubs.
  • mmdv26
    13 years ago
    Which is more expensive in NYC, a lap dance or a one mile cab ride?
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    Houston cabs have been advertising strip clubs for at least twenty years. NYC is just catching up ??????????
  • gsv
    13 years ago
    No, NYC has been doing this for a long time, but I guess it's only recently that it's being made a bigger deal of.
  • Cheo_D
    13 years ago
    I suppose it would be fair for actual owner-drivers to have a say on what is advertised on their property. Of course if you merely drive and it's someone else who owns the cab, it's not your call. But there you have a system by which person/company A owns the Taxi Medallion, while person B owns and operates the actual cab, and has to run promotions to A's liking. Gee, this has a hint of the "contractor vs employee" debate with strippers...
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    I thought New York cabbies were only offended by soap and the English language.
  • newmark
    13 years ago
    Maybe they should start doing lap dances in the cabs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion