tuscl

Disabled Man Sues Strip Club For Human Rights Violation

2010_12_wheelchair2.jpgSometimes a man knows exactly what he wants and fights until it's in his clutches. But sometimes that same man is a double amputee who really wants a lap dance and can't get one because the strip club isn't ADA accessible so he has to file a lawsuit in Federal Court. Such is the case of one Zoltan Hirsch, a double amputee who repeatedly tried to visit Lace Gentleman's Club but was not able to enjoy most of their strip club services because it is not wheelchair friendly. Among other things, Hirsch's lawsuit alleges that Lace doesn't have a wheelchair friendly ramp, lacks a handicapped accessible bathroom, and most importantly, put all of the VIP rooms on a second floor that is only accessible via a staircase, "representing an insurmountable barrier to [Hirsch] and other individuals who use wheelchairs". The lawsuit only asks that Lace pay all legal fees and make the changes needed to become ADA compliant, because the plaintiff really needs to see some flesh.
· Zoltan Hirsch v Lace [Warning: PDF]
· Annals of Law [~ENY~]
· Nightlife Coverage [~ENY~]

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2010/12/dis…

5 comments

• shadowcat
    14 years ago
    An excerpt from my last review of the Columbia PLatinum Plus.

A guy came in in a wheel chair. Apparently he wanted to do a Champagne Room visit but it was not accessable. They brought it to him. Put a table cloth on the table, fruit & cheese and he hooked up with a dancer for an hour. They allowed him to lay on the floor and allowed the dancer to get on top of him. Ya don't see that very often.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    At my fav club, there are a couple of wheelchair-bound customers, and there are two steps up to get into VIP. On a couple of occasions I have seen helpful customers lift the guy - wheelchair and all - up into VIP. Other times I have seen the wheelchair left behind and the guy helped to the couches. I think that says a lot about the strip-clubber fraternity.

• inno123
    14 years ago
    The law's the law. If you have a business open to the general public you have to have reasonable accomodation. You would have to provide reasonable accomodation to a disabled employee as well.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    "Reasonable" may not mean what you think it means. If, for instance, the VIP is on the second floor, "reasonable" does *not* mean installing an elevator. It might mean having one VIP room on the main floor, and that only if it doesn't mean unreasonable structure changes.

The bathroom is the one that will get them. The club will have to show that making the bathroom handicap accessible will put an undue hardship on them, and that will be virtually impossible to carry off, unless there is simply no more room to make changes to the building, or doing so would require rebuilding the entire building, or would damage the safety or structure of the building.

Of course, as with all else in our litigation happy society, "reasonable" is in the eyes of the judge/jury.
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    As georgmicrodong says - we are a litigious society. I have read about businesses being sued because the bathroom mirror was an inch to high to regulation. There is some guy out in California making a living out of suing small businesses under the fucked up laws they have out there.

The way things are going, we are fast approaching the day when none of this will matter - the cities/counties being to broke for police/courts and all you know.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion