tuscl

Club hosting food drive

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:59 PM
BURLINGTON CITY - A local club owner has organized a food drive to help families in need. Nonperishable goods can be dropped off from noon to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday at the Playhouse Lounge on Route 130, co-owner John Kusmaul said. The food will be distributed through SisterHood Inc., a city-based nonprofit that offers counseling and a variety of programs to underserved members of the community. Also, Kusmaul and his staff have "adopted" six families through SisterHood and are buying presents for Christmas. "They've been wonderful," said the Rev. Hilda Covington, SisterHood's founder and president. The Playhouse has supported Mothers Against Drunk Driving, a local fundraiser for a soldier deployed to Iraq, and organizations supporting diabetes and cancer research, among other charities. Proceeds from the business' holiday party Dec. 22 will be donated to charity. Kusmaul hopes to inspire other businesses to join in giving back. "Strip clubs are thought of as lesser businesses and we get a bad rap in society," said Kusmaul, who opened the Playhouse in the late 1980s. "I want them to think, 'If the strip club can do things for people, why can't we?' " [view link]

4 comments

• RapturousOne
    14 years ago
    Yawn
  • JerseyJack
    14 years ago
    Playhouse Lounge used to be one of the highest mileage clubs in NJ, until a raid and numerous arrests in Sept. 2009 pretty much brought the fun to a screeching halt. I haven't been there since that time, but by all accounts (reviews on this site and others) business has declined drastically this year. This food drive totally sounds like a ploy to show a "kinder, gentler" side so that LE and the township will finally get off their back.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    I'm all for it. It is a win win situation. The charities get the help they need. The club gets on the good side of the community and LE leaves them alone. The customers reap the benefits of a better club. My favorite club held a toy drive for the kids for Xmas and sponsors an annual charity golf tournament. In the 9 years I have been calling it my home club, they have never been busted.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    But nothing was in the donation basket. But good for public relations.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion