tuscl

Man Gets $650,000 After Eye Injury During Lap Dance

Man's eye was injured after stripper accidentally kicked him with her high heels

A South Florida man may have a few more dollars to toss around at strippers after he won $650,000 in a settlement for injuries he suffered during a lap dance.
In 2008, Michael Ireland was poked in the eye by a stripper's spiked high heel when he got a little too close during a performance at the Cheetah Club near West palm Beach.
The shoe punctured his eye socket and broke bones around his eye and nose and the man has permanent double vision, his attorneys claimed.
Some would say that's not such a problem in the strip club.
The strip club decided to settle out of court Thursday instead of going through with the lawsuit and possibly paying more in damages.
"When this case was first filed, many people criticized it simply because it occurred at a strip club," said Lake Lytal, Ireland's attorney. "But we feel the $650,000 settlement goes to show that this was a serious case with serious injuries."
Lap dances for everyone! Or not.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/…

10 comments

• troop
    14 years ago
    i've heard of similar things happening locally and elsewhere. there have been times when i had to duck from an out of control stripper.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I got a bloody nose one time and I was just trying to tip the dancer on stage. I never thought I could get money for my injuries. If the manager had given me a thousand dollars, I might have even stayed quiet about the whole incident.

I can imagine a new sign at strip clubs.

1.Beware of dancers if you see customers leaving looking like pirates.
    2. Management pays $500 if you lose an eye due to dancer attacks.
    3. Management pays $1000 for broken noses and bones due to dancer attacks.
    4. If you die because of your own stupidity, we won't pay you jack.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I forgot to add
    5. The new club name could be called
    The Pirates Wenches
  • bigdude012
    14 years ago
    In all seriousness this is fair. The man has suffered very serious injuries and deserves legitimate compensation. The dancer is very lucky because she could've have been arrested for assault; though $650k is a lot of dances but on the bright side she has job security
  • spandexman
    14 years ago
    This will hurt the dominatrix business, now men will stop paying the $300.00 or so an hour and just spend $25.00 to kick kicked, punched and abused.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Yet another reason not to stay at the tip rail too long. Happy lap dancing, dude !!
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Not to make light of his injury, but how often do those stupid ridicules shoes hurt dancers? Much more often than customers, I am sure.
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    This is why I always wear a helmet and safety glasses to the stage!
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I'm not trying to make light of the guy's injuries either. However I wonder why a club should be liable for an accident to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars beyond the guys medical expenses? Will other clubs require dancers to wear regular shoes instead of high heels? I don't really see this big settlement changing behavior in other clubs. That tells me the intent was just to get money for the injured party. Maybe I could have sued and gotten a lot of money for my bloody nose. Either that or clubs start passing out helmets and safety glasses as required equipment if you stand near the dance stage.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Yesterday I heard on the local news that there is likely much more litigation before anyone receives or pays monies. Of course, the sharks will get theirs no matter the outcome! Another case for tort reform.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion