tuscl

16 topless dancers in NC face exposure charges

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Authorities have arrested six women and were searching for 10 others as part of an investigation of indecent exposure at strip clubs that one club owner said was a waste of law enforcement resources.

The Charlotte Observer reported Friday that Alcohol Beverage Control officials said the topless dancers are charged with violating a state law that prohibits them from performing nude.

The arrests are part of a six-month undercover investigation into eight adult-entertainment clubs in Charlotte. Most of the clubs involved are operated by M.A.L. entertainment, a company owned by Charlotte businessman David "Slim" Baucom.

"They know that they're not allowed to expose themselves and they did," said Michael Crowley of Mecklenburg's ABC commission. "You're not allowed to remove your bottom."

Crowley said the women removed all of their clothes during table dances on the main floor and in semi-private areas, roped off for customers who pay extra for special dances.

Agents said Baucom cooperated with authorities and provided the real names of some of his dancers.

Chris Fall, owner of the Paper Doll Lounge, said the investigation is a waste of taxpayer money, particularly in tight financial times. Authorities said an ABC agent and a Pineville police officer conducted the investigation.

"The government, they're bad on money and they're coming after us," Fall said. "Paying (agents) to go to strip clubs ... and have a good time."

The clubs could face disciplinary action by the state ABC commission, which controls licensing for businesses that sell alcohol.

Crowley compared the operation to other ABC stings, in which the commission sends minors into gas stations and grocery stores to try and buy alcohol and cigarettes.

"We want to make sure that these adult entertainment establishments are following the law," Crowley said. "That's our job."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06…
Friday, Jun. 18, 2010

6 comments

• deogol
    14 years ago
    It is about money. I think we will all be amazed at the amount of fines, sur-charges, fees, and secret taxes this society will face in the near future.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    "The arrests are part of a six-month undercover investigation"

Only 6 months? Most departments manage to stretch their "investigations" out for at least a year to, you know, gather evidence.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    yeah, gather evidence LOL, uhuh, they just wanted a good time at the expense of their budgets. Pigs!!
  • wallanon
    14 years ago
    I guess I'll post my Charlotte reviews now...that's a shame.

They'll still be watery pudding versions, but all the grumbling on these boards lately about lack of detail just reminds me not to add it. Anyone who thinks their local authorities don't have the time to check the Internet has their head in the sand. Just because nameless beat cop doesn't do it for the job doesn't mean the entire department passes up obvious info.

It's funny. The last time I was in Columbia, SC, there were all these dancers talking about how lousy the Charlotte clubs were. Many of them would drive down there to dance because they said the clubs were too restrictive and dull. My response was, "you may want to take another look because that's not what I see". Will the clubs that are on the hit lists get hit anyway even if I keep details to myself? Yep.

But seriously, does anyone really want their handle showing up as a highlight in some pile of documents for an ongoing investigation?
  • rickdugan
    14 years ago
    Wall, I'm in your camp on this. I've been a little hard on guys who provide, or ask fo, too many club specifics, but I can tell you that where I am from LE rads these boards and acts on the info.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    [Putting on tin foil hat]

So, Rick, which LE agency *do* you work for?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion