tuscl

Sexy dance after $40 drinks was not prostitution, high court rules

A bar employee who performed a "dirty dance" with a customer after the Honolulu Police Department undercover officer bought her two $40 drinks did not commit prostitution because the state did not prove the employee performed the dance in exchange for the drinks, the Hawaii Supreme Court ruled today.

The opinion overturns the December 2006 conviction of the Club Sara Lee employee.

During the trial in Honolulu District Court, the officer testified he bought the woman several $40 drinks on July 24, 2006. After he purchased two of the drinks, he said, the woman asked him to dance in a manner that would qualify as "sexual contact" under state law. Both he and the woman remained clothed during the dance.

Police arrested the woman and charged her with prostitution two and a half months later.

The district judge found the woman guilty and sentenced her to six months of probation and fined her $500.

She appealed to the state Intermediate Court of Appeals, which upheld the conviction.

But the Hawaii Supreme Court said because the woman did not offer to "dirty dance" with the undercover officer in exchange for the $40 drink and there was no agreement between the two that the drink was a fee for the dance, the woman did not commit prostitution.

The justices also pointed out that the woman did not indicate after the dance that she performed it in exchange for the drink and that she did not dance with the officer after he bought her a third $40 drink.
May 25, 2010
http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breakin…

6 comments

• georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    Well shit. If that constitutes prostitution, damn near every woman in America is guilty.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    Sounds like the fuzz in Hawaii very much don't want Hawaii to get a Vegas reputation. I guess they think tourists should just stick to the beaches, nature tours, Pearl Harbor, and nothing else. Kinda sad, I've always harbored a island girl fantasy.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    I guess sometimes a "sexy dance" is just a "sexy dance"...I'm surprised that she had the guts to take it all the way the HI Supreme Court though.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    All this time I thought prostitution involved sex. In Hawaii you can simply touch someone with clothes on.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    "In Hawaii you can simply touch someone with clothes on."

We don't have to take our clothes off
    To have a good time
    Oh no
    We could dance & party all night
    And drink some cherry wine
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Sheesh, the morality cops must have been pissed. LOL
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now