tuscl

Child Prodigy, 13, Claims UConn Age Bias

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:29 PM
Colin was 2 or 3 when he began reading on his own, and was up to "Harry Potter" by the time he was 4. An only child, he has faced trouble before because of his brainpower. His kindergarten teacher would not allow him to take books with him at nap time, and he was ridiculed by other children who fired math questions at him to entertain themselves, she said. Colin skipped two grades in public school and began taking psychology, history and other courses at UConn when he was 9. He graduated from Stanford University Online High School at age 11, and soon after enrolled full-time at UConn. "I'm actually like any other student," he said. "The faculty and students have better things to do than worry about a 13-year-old holding his own." Colin is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut, seeking a bachelor's degree in ecology and evolutionary biology and another in environmental studies. But he's been knocked off course by the university's rejection of his request to take a class that includes summer field work in South Africa. He and his mother say university officials told them he is too young for the overseas course. So he's filed an age discrimination claim with the university and U.S. Department of Education, which is investigating. "I'm losing time in my four-year plan for college," he said. "They're upsetting the framework of one of my majors."

4 comments

• deogol
    14 years ago
    There is a difference between intellectual development and emotional development. Then again, it would seem he has a "special condition" that a public school needs to attend to.
  • arbeeguy
    14 years ago
    Since he is in college can he enjoy the pleasures of strip clubs? He could do an anthropological study - instead of frittering away his valuable time and brainpower in South Africa. Boy needs some good advice from a good PL.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    kahoot's has some of their sister strip clubs in CT. If I was there I would get him a fake ID and take him out to the SC! ""I'm actually like any other student," he said." ^^^ You are not old enough to even drink a beer...I doubt you are like the other students lol
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    samsung: In that regard he might be. What percentage of the other students are "old enough [...] to drink a beer?" :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion