tuscl

Way off topic...Buy a new car

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I am coming up on my 1 year retirement anniversary. My pretax income exceeds $7,000/mo. I can live on $1200. I have way to much cash in my checking account. I am thinking of treating myself to a new car. Nothing wrong with what I am driving now.I am sure I can get the highest resale price for it. I can write a check for $50k without batting an eye.If you had $50K to blow on a new car, what would you buy? I have Corvette fever. But 430HP scares me a little. I'm 68 years old. Would that kind of speed get away from me. And what to do with my 207HP ranger. It will blow any pickup off the road. Seems like a waste to have two vechicles but I would miss the cargo capacity. Your wishfull thinking?

30 comments

• Clubber
    15 years ago
    Only one choice, but then you would have to pony up just a bit more, a Bugatti Veyron.
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    There are two Corvettes on the road, one with a smaller and less powerful engine for guys who just want they style. I'm a Detroiter so I cannot give you unbiased advice. Hell yeah, buy a new car. I wrote a proposal that would give the individual taxpayer a 100% tax credit for car payment on a new car. No response from the White House economic team, although my college Economics professor (a heavyweight) thinks the idea has merit.
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Selfishly, I could take your old one off your hands. I am still recovering from heavy internal bruises and injuries suffered in an accident Jan. 14, 2010 that totaled my 1993 GMC Yukon. I was able to walk away.WHEW!
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    buy it since everything is a depreciable asset these days!
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    SC, there are luxury car driving tours operating in various cities. Here's an example:

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/dream-car…

Out-of-the-box as far as your request is concerned, but if you have the spare money laying around, an opportunity to sample some of the best and then spend the rest elsewhere.
  • neoguy
    15 years ago
    Can't afford anything here, but if I could I would buy an Audi. I love the new looks they have out.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    The champagne room host at Club X is 26 years old and still lives at home with his parents. He has been saving up for a corvette that costs $100k. He currently has $80k saved up. I try to tell him to invest that money into expanding the club but he won't listen. He wants that car bad
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    sc,

Seriously, if you wish a real sports car, you need to pony up more cast and get something other than a vette. Just a wantabe from Detroit.

I guess you could use the same logic as used in the bike world. Vettes are for those that can't afford a Ferrari.
  • DickJohnson
    15 years ago
    you should wait i hear India will be iimporting the nano car here...or just buy a smart car...
  • potheadpl
    15 years ago
    I think I'd buy a BMW M3. Just as fast, excellent handling. Plus BMWs make strippers drool.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    pot,

That is exactly my point above! I believe most men that have those types of automobiles use them much the same as a fisherman uses his nets.
  • how
    15 years ago
    The weather's pretty agreeable where you are, right, S/cat? Get a nice convertible roadster. Or maybe an Audi TT hardtop...
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Thanks for the imput. My head is buzzing with new ideas.Even a couple of PM's. Bugatti, Clubber be serious. 1,000HP. I am NOT going to race at Les Mons. Convertibles are out. I owned one. The interior gets hot and at 68 I still have a full head of hair. Don't want it blown around. Corvettes seem to be over rated. Still thinking, untill after tax time.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Superdude: I am glad you survived. I have been driving for 50+ years.Been involved in 3 minor accients, none of which were my fault. My granddaughter now 12 was in a terrible accident when she was 18 months old. Was air lifted to childrens hospital with a brain concussion. She came home 21 days later after 3 brain surgeries.2 years of physical therapy.She is perfectly normal now and the love of my life.
  • georgmicrodong
    15 years ago
    Hmm, if I had that much cash, I'd be tempted to wait a few years and see what Ford comes up with for the 50th anniversary Mustang.
  • Shekitout
    15 years ago
    Go for Nissan 370Z 40th Anniversary model out now.(Check with Gwinette Place Nissan for availability) Only available as a 6 speed however. Has special paint, interior, wheels, etc., & a plaque in the cockpit identifying the car as one of only 1,000 made. If you want an automatic there's one available but not as 40th Anniversary model.
    Has plenty of power but not so much that it would be scary. I have a 35th Anniversary model but they were available as manual's or automatics. I have an automatic. There was no plaque in the cockpit for the 35th Anniversary model.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    I am not a car expert but if you buy an anniversary model it might end up becoming rare. This is good for resale value but bad if you are trying to find parts for it down the road.
    I second the BMW M3 suggestion..but only a PL would buy a car to impress the strippers lol
    The post about your granddaughter was touching...what about starting a college fund for your granddaughter?
  • RickWood
    15 years ago
    Have you looked at a Dodge Challenger HEMI R/T? I've never been a big 'vette fan. I had an ex with a 'vette, rode like shit (the car, she was ok). That car was miserable for 5 hour roadtrips!
  • sinclair
    15 years ago
    SuperDude, I was in a car accident just five days before yours. An illegal alien hit me and totaled my car as well as his. I was lucky to walk away from the wreck. The idiot didn't have insurance.

Shadowcat, my advice would be a Lincoln Navigator or a Ford F-150 Platinum or Roush package. Both are built like tanks (which is a good thing with all the wackos on the roads nowadays) and keep a much lower profile in comparison to all the sports cars that people are posting about.
  • georgmicrodong
    15 years ago
    Ooh, check out the Top Gear episode on American cars.

part 1: http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/team-am…
    part 2: http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/fafcf56…

James May *loves* the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, and Jeremy Clarkson almost splooges over the 2009 Corvette ZR1. The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 didn't fare *quite as well, but Richard Hammond still liked it.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    sam: nice thought but she really doesn't need it. Her mom works two part time jobs and has been buying her small home for 10 years. She does it on $12,000 a year without stripping. She started middle school this year just like any normal 12 yo. Of course we will never know if her IQ was impaired. I keep my 3,000 sq ft house so that mom and her 2 daughters will always have a place to go. I'm not getting any younger. Mom is a joint owner on my bank accounts. I just refinanced my home. I got a survivorship deed. When I go, the house goes right to her. You older guys should think about this.Mom knows about my strip club activities (well not the whole truth). She does not totally approve but understands and supports me by giving me cosmedics/perfume for the girls. She knows to call gridget if/when anything happens to me. I have the best of two worlds...
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    shekitout: do you still have your vintage 280Z? My son has a Subaru WRX STI. It came with 300HP. He did after market upgrades to 450. Says that he could go to 600HP by going to nitro. He took my daughter for a spin. She almost barfed at the accelartion. I am getting so much advice here that I am getting dizzy. Thanks guys...
  • elemental23
    15 years ago
    If you want muscle go with the mustang gt or the dodge challenger srt8 with the hemi (escape pod for 2012) :). For muscle with sophistication, the audi A series or they have a new one called R8. The transporter drives an audi, that is all i need to know
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    DickJohnson, are you talking about TA-TA Motors?
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    sc,

Yes, the Bugatti was not a serious suggestion, but I would love to give one a whirl. Likely I'd kill myself in it. And it is 100O and ONE HP! : )
  • clubsblue0303
    15 years ago
    I can't believe that a recommendation has not been made for the fastest street legal car sold int he US today, at least off the line in the 0-60 time (3.9 sec). It is none other than the Tesla Roadster. This car is electric and makes no noise. I had the pleasure of riding in one last week and it was quicker than a Honda 909 motorcyle - the racing kind. This beauty is costly - $110k - but much cheaper than new Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and high-end Porsches. If that's too much, then in 2012 Tesla will sell the Model S Sedan for $58k. It will also be electric, and is set to compete with the BMW 7 Series. Both cars come with a $7,500 federal tax credit. Both cars have a 240mi. range between charges. It may not be quite good enough to get from Atl to Columbia in 1 shot, but close. A long lunch and charge at a motel somewhere with 220V power (or your favorite club - tap into the AC mains) and you're on your way. Plus it is a major sweet ride and a head-turner. Any self-respecting stripper would love to ride in a Roadster.
  • steve229
    15 years ago
    "BMWs make strippers drool."

Must be true. One dancer has convinced herself I drive a BMW. I tried to tell her she was mistaken once, but she just said, "no, I saw you in the parking lot." Anyway, she's always all over me when I visit the club, lol.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Vettes are winning. I got an email from minnow. I know his profession and trust him. He is on his 3rd vette and loves them. Lots of competion but I have to wonder where to take these imports if they do break down?
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Vettes are winning. I got an email from minnow. I know his profession and trust him. He is on his 3rd vette and loves them. Lots of competion but I have to wonder where to take these imports if they do break down?
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    sc,

By the very nature of minnow's nick(and of course he could be 6'8" and 350), I think he is making the point. Vettes are small men cars. Again, "Vettes are for those that can't afford a Ferrari."
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion