tuscl

computer gurus. The nerd needs helg again.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Yesterday I got 24 personal pics from a female friend. They were attached to 4 different emails and were shown as JPGs. I saved them to my pictures folder. When I went back to view them, they now show as an ASPX file and I can't view the pictures. I attached one to an email that I sent to myself and the attachment did not appear.Windows media player says that I do not have the right codec to play them. Ideas?

6 comments

• Notsosly
    15 years ago
    Sounds like you saved them to your HD in the wrong format (.aspx is a type of active server page file extension suffix). Specifically, I think you saved the whole webpage of your email as opposed to saving the individual pictures.

Open those original emails again if you have them. Left-click directly on the pictures--if you can see the actual picture when you open it in the emails--and "Save Picture As..." (or right-click on the picture attachment link if you see that... it should open a separate browser window or picture application that will let you look at it). You will then get the pop-up to save the pic and designate a file name and file type and where you want to save it on your hard drive. Find the folder you want to save it in, type in a file name you will recognize, and then finally (and most importantly), choose "JPEG (*.jpg)" as the File Type. Then click the Save button. Rinse and repeat for each picture.

If you don't have the original emails, either in your inbox or deleted folder, you might be screwed. Good luck!
  • Notsosly
    15 years ago
    Actually, I fucked up my left and right clicks! Should be the opposite of what I wrote. Swap those. Right click on the actual picture, left click on any links.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    Thanks guys. I do know how to save an image. I have 518 in my pictures folder. What I couldn't understand was how the file extension could change. I have found a solution. RT click on the image and go to "this frame", then hit save as. This procedure is working for me. Seems like it is saving attachments. I now have see if I can change the file name.
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    You can sometimes accidentally change the file format when you go to "save as" the file, there's a drop down of various file types below the file name whenever you click "Save As". Windows really should be fixed for that, since it's not like users can change the type of file on the Save as drop down, we unfortunately are just confusing the system by calling it the wrong file type.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    A number of times if the file extension is already "something".jpg you can click save as and save it as the same name or different name and put the .jpg extension on it so that you don't have any trouble opening it back up. If you don't know that is the jpeg format.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Shadowcat, the nerds are the people ANSWERING a computer question. They consider it a compliment.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion