tuscl

I don't think most Americans are gonna be influenced by a billionaire celebrity

CJKent_band
The truth hurts, but if you accept it, it will set you free
Title couldn’t say it all.

“I don't think most Americans are gonna be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans.”

~ JD Vance
~ September 11, 2024

18 comments

• Puddy Tat
    7 days ago
    "At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." - PJ O'Rourke
  • CJKent_band
    7 days ago
    ^
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers."

:D
  • Puddy Tat
    7 days ago
    "People who are wise, good, smart, skillful, or hardworking don’t need politics, they have jobs." - PJ O'Rourke
  • twentyfive
    7 days ago
    ^ here’s my favorite P. J. O’Rourke quote

“ The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn’t work and then they get elected and prove it.”
  • Puddy Tat
    7 days ago
    ^ Not going to deny that. But I want the most unambitious, boring/competent government we can get. First, do no harm.
  • wld4tatas
    7 days ago
    Great quote from JD Vance. The Harris campaign should make an ad using it.
  • Icey
    7 days ago
    The only way Trump will win is with a low voter turnout rate. Which is very possible. More people will abstain from voting than voting for Trump.

Its unreal how people can listen to what he says and support him
  • rickmacrodong
    7 days ago
    That just shows JD is an idiot, not Trump himself
  • BumHip
    6 days ago
    @Puddy Tat PJ O'Rourke, endorsed Clinton in 2016, and also said "A Biden presidency would be bad, but a Trump second term would be even worse." So there's that.
  • Puddy Tat
    6 days ago
    ^ Now we have a term of each to compare.

Harris was second in command, self proclaimed last one in the room to a vegetable of a president...if his presidency were so successful, why is she running so hard away from it???
  • RonJax2
    6 days ago
    > if his presidency were so successful, why is she running so hard away from it???

I don't see her running away from her record at all, I think she embraces it. She frequently touts Biden-Harris legislative wins like the bipartisan infrastructure act and the inflation reduction act on the campaign trail, as she did at the DNC.

And in the debate she took pretty clear responsibility for her record, accurately describing the mess created by Donald Trump that they had to clean up, in order for us to have a prosperous economy again.
  • Puddy Tat
    6 days ago
    LOL. what do people care more about, the "inflation reduction act" aka Orwellian misnamed green pork, or having to choose between their electric bill and food?

All that icky inflation free growth under Trump, global peace (according to Biden's own national security advisor the quietest Middle East in twenty years), droning Iranian terrorists rather than giving them money, controlled border without importing crime and blight, and a rapid vaccine in a year for a pathogen that no one knew existed.

Not to mention Democrats are saying not to worry about her proposals like the price controls on food and a tax on unsold capital gains, both of which would be the worst economic proposals since the 70s.

God deliver us from another term of Trumpian prosperity!
  • RonJax2
    6 days ago
    I don't think she's framing her record the way you are. Nor would I frame Trump's presidency the way you do. I recall it as a time of unrest, chaos and strife, where every day the president would do something unpredictable, like praising Putin one day and the next day telling people to take bleach for COVID.

Another Trump term would be a nightmare. The inflationary impact of his Mass Deportations plan would be catastrophic, so would the huge economic impact of the trade wars he'd start. That's why just about every sensible economist right now is saying people need to vote for Harris. Even Goldman Sachs is saying the economy would fare better under Harris than Trump.
  • Puddy Tat
    6 days ago
    ^ Yes, a lot of people were so TDSed out that he could eat a salad with Russian dressing and the left would make a stink about it.

Unpredictable? Yes. But he's a negotiator and that's a negotiating tactic. Buttering up timpot dictators works. I'll take compliments to Kim and Putin over the very real loss of face we've had with them (and Iran) under Biden.

The bleach thing has been debunked.

I don't know how many "sensible economists" you've talked to but anyone who supports price controls and an unrealized capital gains tax is not sensible. We know what Trump is likely to do because we know what he actually has done. Inflation free growth even with rising interest rates. Sometimes the best thing to do is get the hell out of the way.
  • wld4tatas
    6 days ago
    Putin is a war criminal, responsible for some of the worst massacres in our lifetime, and for hundreds of thousands if not millions of deaths and war injuries. He needs to be arrested, tried and held accountable. Like Saddam Hussein.

Anyone who in 2024 thinks the appropriate US response to Putin is to compliment him, has lost their way.
  • RonJax2
    6 days ago
    > The bleach thing has been debunked.

He said inject disinfectant but same thing. Here’s the video of the entire crazy speech, so people can decide for themselves. https://youtu.be/zicGxU5MfwE

Personally, I do not want to go back to that kind of insanity in the Oval Office.
  • JamesSD
    6 days ago
    I'm still not sure if JD Vance is secretly a liberal Trojan Horse.
  • jaybud999
    6 days ago
    @ Puddy

Face it, the wrong candidate was chosen. I can run conservative with economics and certain social issues, but Trump is a terrible face of conservative politics. Harris is not my favorite either (but better than Biden)....but Trump is worse....like really.....worse.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion