Proportionate response

Monday, April 15, 2024 2:13 PM
Interesting response from Iran. A well-telegraphed attack with hundreds of weapons systems designed to be easily interecepted and destroyed with very little actual effect. Like they knew they had to do something, but didn't want to really do something that would galvanize an international response or direct retaliation from Israel.

16 comments

Kinda like a slap fight
Manuellabore
a month ago
Iran has no real foreign policy goals. They find pretexts for conflicts with other countries, and use those conflicts to distract their people from government oppression, corruption and incompetence. Their only real fight is with Afghanistan over water rights.
ilbbaicnl
a month ago
If you follow news sites, CNN for example, it’s interesting to note how many men from Muslim countries follow American media stories and can comment in fluent English. Not sure if that’s something of concern, but I bet there ain’t a lot of young (or old) Americans following the media in Muslim countries and can respond in fluent Arabic. But to summarize most of their posts - you ain’t seen nuthin’ yet. The full wrath of the Muslim military might will be unleashed on Israel (at some unspecified time)
motorhead
a month ago
^ Yeah, bless their little bloodthirsty hearts.
PuddyTat69
a month ago
What Iran proved: Despite launching hundreds and hundreds of drones, rockets and missiles, 99% were intercepted and the other 1% harmed no one other than the typical target for Iran: a seven-year-old Bedouin girl. No Muslim, nor progressive will care, but that who was killed by the despicable muslims. Israel manages to fly hours and hours over hostile territory, kill the mastermind of 10/7 and 6 other military people in a building far away, without even damaging an adjoining building. War is so stupid, but Israel need not get drawn into the trap by bombing Iran. The better course of action is send one of its' subs out to hunt Iran's one battleship and sink it, with no survivors. Eeven Steven.
skibum609
a month ago
^ agree with those who believe Israel’s response should be something covert with deniability, it is believed that Israel has numerous undercover and sleeper cells in Iran, a real win that would benefit most of the world would be the destruction of the Iranian drone manufacturers, maybe a fire or a chain reaction explosion while assembling the drones, it would set back not just the Iranians but also the Russians and I’d bet that the Israelis would even get support from the Ukrainians. I don’t know how many of you know this but just as the Iranians enabled Hamas, and supports the enemies of democracy in the region they are being supported by the Russians who gave the green light to this entire round of conflict in the Middle East, I believe if we enable the Ukrainian military to kick the Russians out, all of this will get settled quickly. I also believe that Biden is to chicken to above the Ukrainian Military the weapons needed to attack the Russians in Russia , as a result the Russians have started to recover capacity that they lost in the last year of fighting with the Ukraine.
twentyfive
a month ago
^Skibum and I have been taken off "ignore" again for the 117th time
gammanu95
a month ago
^ Skibum has never been on ignore, you haven't been either since the format change, it's easy to ignore you, you say the stupidest things of any poster on TUSCL, I just chose not to respond to you 98.3% of the time, I know it bothers you more than my reminders of how stupid you are.
twentyfive
a month ago
I'm definitely worried we are one step closer to WW3.
JamesSD
a month ago
There was an editorial this morning about how Israel must respond to the attack from Iran with sufficient force to deter further attacks. Contrarily, others point to the inefficacy of the Iranian attack and the defense provided by Jordan as reasons to "take the 'win'" as Brandon told Netanyahu. It reminds me of when Trump's admin got Soleimani and Iran retaliated with a ballistic missile attack against a US airbase in Iraq. There were no deaths, but there were unspecified injuries. The US boasted that the retaliation by Iran was ineffective. We later learned that there were very serious concussive injuries and TBIs to troops stationed at the airbase. Even before those reports, I felt that the US should have responded by completely destroying wherever those missiles were launched from, wherever they had been stored prior to use or deployment, and wherever they had been manufactured. Likewise, Israel killed the Iranian Quds general who had planned the Hamas attack in October. The difference is that the US is not surrounded by countries which have vowed its destruction, has the global economic and military clout to take bigger swings at enemies, and does not live on the knife's edge of destruction by enemies within and without. Israel should do the opposite of whatever Brandon advises. I have noticed a trend among Boomers that they fail to learn from their mistakes. Even as they advance in age, they mistakenly believe that their life experience gives them the respectability to offer advice. I know more than few boomers who are or were aged past 55, make less than $50,000/year in their career (not semi-retired), and love to give advice to Gen X like myself. Invariably, it has been poor advice. When I do the opposite or follow my own analysis and gut, I achieve better results. Brandon is another failed Boomer. He has been on the wrong side of every policy decision of his career. He opposed the mission into Pakistan to get bin Laden! Has anyone forgotten the complete disaster he made of Afghanistan and the US shame of Bagram airbase? A ruined southern border. Rampant inflation. I do not need to rehash known facts. Brandon advises Israel not to retaliate against Iran. Israel should listen to Brandon's advice, and do the opposite.
gammanu95
a month ago
Yes, boomers make mistakes, but unlike the generations that followed they succeeded and failed on their own; not living off the prior efforts of others the way the weaklings called the young live. Only the weakest of the weak use salary as a gauge of success. Stupid person = Trump voter. I agree with James and the day on which the clock started ticking towards the end was when people voted for more pro muslim policies by elected Biden and encouraging him to follow the abject failure called Obama. Islam is a cancer eating away at the world. Israel the canary in the coal mine.
skibum609
a month ago
Stupid person = someone who denigrates an entire religion. Shortly after 9/11 I had a coworker who was Iranian and Muslim. He told me that his Imam preached that the first Jihad was within one's own soul. This Jihad was to rid yourself of the hatred and fear that drove heinous murderers like the Ayatollah, bin Laden, and Hamas. He was in Community College at the time, and would go on to work his way through med school to become an Orthopedic Surgeon. I have another former colleague in New Orleans. A lovely, seriously gorgeous, MILF practicing medicine in New Orleans. She always told me she was Lebanese. She is fairly Caucasian with dirty blonde hair. She is very good in her field and very invested in her patients' welfare; but I always felt she was in pain. We met up recently at a conference. After dinner, she confided in us that she was raised in Lebanon but her family is Palestinian and she was born in the Palestinian Territories. I was very hurt that she felt she had to hide her true family history. She was telling us now, because she feels that anyone who looks at her sees only a Muslim and a potential terrorist. That is not the country that we should be and not the world I want to live in. I'm a Christian. Two of my best staff are Muslims. Some of my worst are Christians. The only one I have terminated for cause was a Jew who repeatedly overbilled Medicare and jeopardized the entire practice.
gammanu95
a month ago
@grammanu95 "Brandon is another failed Boomer." Brandon is not a boomer. He was born Nov. 20, 1942. Boomers are defined by the birth years 1946 - 1954. Brandon is a member of the Silent Generation. Trump is a boomer. He was born June 4, 1946. And I certaintly wouldn't characterize Trump as a failed boomer.
WiseToo
a month ago
@gammanu, I'm far from stereotyping an entire religion, I do a lot of volunteer work at a local mosque and have more Muslim friends than the norm. But any observer can see widespread problems within Muslim societies that aren't in others. The Muslim world seems like a uniquely shitty place in the world to be female or LGBTQ, less tolerant of other religions than others (seems like most major religious conflicts in the world involve Islam on at least one side, usually forcing its norms on others), the only religion whose people become, glorify, and even subsidize suicide bombers. The Palestinian culture might be the worst of the worst. Call me a reactionary pig but I don't believe all cultures have equal worth. People yes, cultures no. Was the 1940s American culture equal to that of Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia or Imperial Japan's? Why is 23% of the world's population Muslim but has had only 12 Nobel laureates, but 0.2% of the world's population is Jewish and has 193 Nobel laureates? Why is Israel a multi-ethnic liberal democracy head and shoulders more tolerant and prosperous than its neighbors? I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim but there is no equivalence between the cultures of Israel and its Muslim neighbors.
PuddyTat69
a month ago
@wisetoo - generational brackets are loosely defined and inherentely include several years on either side of each end. The ideas and behaviors of an individual born in that gray area determine which generation they more closely align with by paradigm. One of the other "boomer"s I specifically had in mind was also born in 1941, but had the same failures of terrible judgement and narcissistic self-assurance that Biden has. This is the same ignorance of their own terrible judgement and narcisstic self-importance that most Boomers have. @puddytat69 - I am the first person to agree with President Trump that we should not be immigrating people from shithole countries. I never said Muslim countries were flawless paradises that should be emulated worldwide. The statement, "Islam is a cancer eating away at the world" is genocidal and morally equivalent to the statement "Hitler had it right, but he failed to finish the job". As a matter of fact, I feel that the Holy Land is much safer in the hands of the Israelis than it would be under any Muslim government. I fail to see what in my statement regarding respecting the humanity of Muslims would cause you to feel attacked.
gammanu95
a month ago
@gammanu - Wasn't feeling at all attacked. Just wanted to elaborate.
PuddyTat69
a month ago
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion