tuscl

End of one means new beginning for another

Friday, April 28, 2023 12:28 PM
Been driving past Pure Platinum every once in a while to see if it would ever open back up. Last night I drove by and saw that, apparently, it is now permanently closed. Dirty Dan's/Pure Platinum had been in San Diego in one location or another for as long as I've been going to clubs in the San Diego area. When I first moved to the area, they had 4 or 5 locations open at the same time. They had gone downhill and business was terrible when I last reviewed the club. Last night I drove by and saw the parking lot full and the sign out front said "Candy Shop". I came home and looked it up online and saw that they are advertising an opening this evening. I guess Scrubby would call this a "club ad" but haven't been. Just glad to finally see another club open in the SD Market. If this is topless with alcohol, it will only be the second one in the city like that. Last night must have been a pre opening celebration. Just happy to see a new club in an old location. [view link]

10 comments

• caseyx
    a year ago
    From the website: "Candy Shop San Diego offers the best of nightlife and entertainment by introducing the Candy Shop Dancers, a troupe of choreographed professionals that will provide original choreography nightly as well as special shows. Add to that a varied and diverse troupe of entertainers like aerialists, jugglers, cosplayers and more to fill your evening with exciting and unique entertainment you will be talking about for weeks!" Maybe that's just window dressing added to secure approval to open. But that description doesn't make it sound like the typical strip club we talk about on here.
  • mike710
    a year ago
    The pictures make it look like a strip club. I think that they are trying to portray a lot of high-end fluff in the website. But, I don't know since it hasn't opened.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    I had no idea Pure Platinum closed. From the website it looks like this new club is trying to go upscale and going for more of a nightclub vibe. I'm curious to see if they will have a day shift that is staffed. I'm guessing the liquor license is transferring. I'll admit it's a bit of a turnoff when they talk about the DJs too much. I don't personally go to strip clubs for.the music, I go for the naked women. Still, more competition is always a plus for the customer. I'm curious to see reviews when this opens and I may ask some of the girls at Cheetahs if they have heard anything about it.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    From the pictures on Google it definitely looks like a strip club inside even if they are marketing it like a nightclub. Currently only open Friday and Saturday nights 9pm-2 am
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Thar location has been a strip club or topless bar since I was a kid. I think it was called Dirty Dan's Onion or something with Onion in the name in the 1970s. I remember we would drive by and I was fascinated by it and tried to look in the door. Then it eventually became Dirty Dan's Pure Platinum and then just Pure Platinum. The best times I had there was when it had the Aladdin decor theme going on. That was its golden age IMO. Candy Shop is a cool name but the Cirque DeSoleil stuff is a bad sign. Not expecting much.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Sounds like it could be a gay or tranny club. Not trying to be offensive but just saying a dance troupe of jugglers and ballet dancers doesn't sound like a straight strip club or bar.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    A diverse troupe of cosplayers? This is definitely going to be a gay club guys. Sorry.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Actually looks like a very high end club with the whole celebrity thing going on. Demi Lovato, Lebron James, and some short rapper guy expected to drop by when they are in town. I guess it will have stroppers too based on the pictures. Anyway not my kind of club. I'll pass. [view link]
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Kearny Mesa is a strange place for this kind of club. Odd.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    I agree it's a bizarre location to try to essentially go for a Gaslamp quarter type club but with strippers. I guess the big question is the main product alcohol or lap dances? Are the strippers just glorified gogo dancers who happen to show their tits? On the one hand the income is much lower for that sort of work, on the other I've known women in my life who would have gladly shaken their ass in a g-string on stage but had zero interest grinding on strangers for money. I look forward to the first review; it's not gonna be me
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion