tuscl

Federal criminal justic

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted about my union treasurer stealing $160,000 from the union. He got caught in a Labor Dept audit of our bank account. He apologized to the members, sold his house and repaid the money. He resigned his office. When the indictment came down he retired from the company. He plead guilty to the charges. Last Wednesday he got sentenced. 9 months in prison, 24 months of probation, $8,000 fine and 150 hours of community service. Will he go to camp "cup cake"? Probably not. A co workers wife is a CPA. She has had more than one client get busted for white collar crimes. They spent no prison time because their sentences were so short and the prisons were over crowded. I think that he got off easy but I am sure that his family has really suffered. Happy Thanksgiving...

9 comments

• parodyman-->
    17 years ago
    Well as long as his family has suffered to your satisfaction.
  • Crosscut
    17 years ago
    I don't think that's what he meant.
  • parodyman-->
    17 years ago
    It was a joke crosscut. Shadowcat knows my humor. Hopefully no one else will cry.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    How much did an average rank-and-file member of the union lose out of his general way of life and earnings because of this infraction. How much would he or she have lost because of it, if it hadn't been detected?

Just trying to get an idea of the weight of effect it might have had on others ...
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    And, it was a funny joke indeed parodyman. :)

• jablake
    17 years ago
    Interesting way to look at it Book Guy. I just got done reading a newspaper story where a lady, age 21, had sex with a 5 year old boy. He is 16 years old now and doesn't even remember the act. Anyway, a judge has order a new trial supposedly because he feels the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Florida law supposedly mandated life behind bars without parole. Given that there is a huge surplus of prison cells that need to be filled it seems like a life sentence is the way to go. :)

I think the vast majority don't give a rat's ass what harm if any was caused when sex is involved. And, on other boards the prevailing opinion is that theft is theft and amount or harm is irrelevant. Supposedly under the common law harm was crucial to conviction or damages, but we have progressed. :)

• jablake
    17 years ago
    A life sentence for both "crimes." :)

• casualguy
    17 years ago
    Society is messed up. As a newborn with very sensitive skin, doctors routinely or at least it used to be routine for all males to take a knife to their genitals and cut away causing immense pain. Part of the reasoning was that it's routine, nothing to worry about, they won't remember anything. A few years later, a woman might have sucked on that part of the kid. Punishment for this terrible crime that didn't even cause any pain for the kid, life in prison. The kid doesn't even remember it. Now who did the terrible crime? I'm not advocating sex with kids but simply stating that society goes to extremes and doesn't take things in perspective. If society deemed blowjobs to be a routine part of turning 18 and had a ceremony for it and it was tradition, I bet hardly no one would be saying that's a crime. I've heard about many murderers not getting life in prison. Our laws don't always make sense to me.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    Excellent points casualguy. :) Most people don't really think, imo, but just follow whatever the media or government mandate.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion