tuscl

More Liberal Hypocrisy

doctorevil
Evil Lair
I've been following the recent Tom Cotton alleged stolen valor controversy with interest because I spent some time in the Army in a past life. Salon basically accuses Cotton of stolen valor because he said he was an Army Ranger, but he never served in the Ranger Regiment. He did graduate from Army Ranger School, generally recognized as the toughest training in the Army, and did combat tours with the 101st Airborne Division. But it seems that's not good enough for the military experts at Salon.

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/22/sen-tom…

Apparently, in its zeal to smear Cotton, Salon forgot how five years ago they acknowledged that the first female graduates of Ranger School were Rangers.

https://www.salon.com/2015/09/23/gop_con…

Yeah, I know. Strange topic for a strip club web site, but not any stranger than many posted here. And this is the only site I post to, so . . .

17 comments

• Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    I agree these scumbags at Salon don't understand what it takes to pass Ranger school. Not anyone can be accepted and its a bitch to get through. Once you get a Ranger patch you "are" a Ranger regardless what unit you serve in. Morons.

Bone spur draft dodging elitists are much better targets to brand as fake patriots. But that story is worn out.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Common mistep even among soldiers. You know that Doc. It’s nothing big, just he was Ranger Qualified not serving in Ranger Regiment to be technically called a Ranger. To make an issue out of something like this is so stupid.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    A former Ranger general spoke out and says he "is" a ranger, just not entitled to the badge because he didn't serve as one, going into airborne instead. The Democrat shithead who started this was bashed by this general and told to grow up. Salon is a left wing rag and only progressive douche bags believe anything in it. Anyone watching the 7th month of the democrat party supported terrorist insurrection is the shitbag state of Oregon?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    One thing is obvious to me, the loudest shrillest voices seem to come from folks that have never worn a uniform of any service, nor faced an enemy that was armed with anything other than a keyboard. That includes staff writers at Salon Magazine, who in my mind have no standing in a discussion of this nature.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The idea that not serving in the military prevents you from having an opinion on military matters is fine as long as people who get any time of support from the Government have absolutely no say on spending policy.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    of their not time - thanks autofill
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ That's not even close to what I said.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    "The idea that not serving in the military prevents you from having an opinion on military matters is fine as long as people who get any time of support from the Government have absolutely no say on spending policy."

Not true at all. Our military is under civilian control so civilians always have and should have a say in military matters. My problem withe Salon article, in addition to being totally contradictory to what they said a few years ago when the first females graduated from the Ranger course, is that the supposed "issue" the writer brings up is an arcane issue of internal military culture that really has no relevance to anyone outside the military, and I'm pretty sure its a minority position within the military. So basically, what 25 said.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "A former Ranger general spoke out and says he "is" a ranger, just not entitled to the badge because he didn't serve as one, going into airborne instead"

It's been many years and I haven't kept up and suppose things may have changed but when I was in you went through Airborne jump school as as a prerequisite to being a Ranger.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Actually jump school has never been a prerequisite for Ranger school, although 90%+ do go to jump school first. It is a requirement to be assigned to the Ranger Regiment.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    If anything else, and this is far from a liberal position, I am grateful for civilian oversight of the military, among other things it keeps us righteous.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The truest liberal hypocricy of this week is lying Joe Biden making a big deal about 100,000 a day getting vaccines, left wing fake news making a big deal about it to, and then finding out today that its not one dose better than Trump was doping. Good thing we're letting mentally ill trannies in the military though, I can hear our enemies shaking in fear of a woman with a dick and beard in a a skirt.
  • Sgtsnowman
    4 years ago
    If Cotton was an officer, this is just par for the course. Army officers assigned to infantry divisions really have to get Ranger school. If not they fall behind their peers in a big way for promotions. And every active duty officer I ever saw who had been to Ranger school wore their tabs. Sounds like the media making mountains out of molehills.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Tom Cotton is a fucking idiot no matter what you call his service record.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Joe Biden is a retard and a fucking liar so what is your point?
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    To the OP's point, it is typical liberal hypocrisy. I would expect nothing less from litterbox liner like Salon.

To my knowledge, Rangers call themselves "triple volunteers", since they must volunteer for the Army, volunteer for jump school (airborne) and volunteer for RIP - Ranger Indoctrination Program.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Joe Biden is not retarded. He used to be of slightly below average intelligence, but now he’s senile. He is and alway has been a pathological liar. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion