tuscl

Decline of strip clubs in Canada

8 comments

• Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Not a good sign for the US either. Will the industry survive with the added pressure of people being habituated to staying at home during the Covid situation, even after its over? I fear the post real world hide at home culture will be deeply engrained.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    A lot depends on how long this thing lasts. Habits are being broken, and other habits are being formed.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    "Will the industry survive..."

If the power of pussy can survive the locust plague, the plague of Athens, the black death, polio, the Spanish flu, the AIDS epidemic, swine flu, etc etc, then this is just another bump in the road.
    It may not be as prevalent as we're used to, but semi to fully nude women will always win somebody over - even if it involves putting their life at risk.
  • gothamyte
    4 years ago
    this article has appeared here on this website before and was discussed around a year ago.

plus this canadian article is about 3 years old, today

IMO, strip clubs need to reinvent themselves to serve a younger clientele. they are a different generation, nowadays, these young folks hitting the clubs. today's SCs can't operate wholly the same way that was accepted a generation ago...they gotta change a few things...

when this topic came up last time, i tried to blame the music for the decline in strip club popularity. i pointed out that today's strip clubs (to me) play a lot of trap and rap music. and that's fine. and, hey, the dancers seem to go with it. and the music actually "fits" today's vibe. i dig the music too.

but when i was coming up in the early 90s, back then, strip clubs still played a ton of slower songs: r&b, easy listening, soul, country, classic rock, even jazz or simply instrumentals. and dancers danced to it heartily (in my opinion--yes, it was a different time). and it gave the SC a different vibe--girls would create a fantasy around these slower songs. and to me, SCs are always at the heart all about fantasy. imagination.

with slow songs, these dancers can better exaggerate movements or make eye contact or simulate / drag-out a dramatic emotion through dance. and johns would watch heartily, like he's watching tv...spending time and money....slowly. slow songs and a good dancer could make a stripper pole come alive. people would pay for that. i always said: show me the best (true) dancer in your strip club, no matter what she looks like or her personality and i'll show you the dancer with the most goddamned money.

i feel like the lack of slow songs is killing SCs. fast. girls don't have to wear super sexy outfits like they used to when SCs were playing slow songs.

janet jackson's "would you mind" slow r&b song comes to mind. where i was clubbing, this song was a favorite for girls to dance to and usually popped up in someone's 3-song set. each girl would do their best to come up with their own interpretation of the song complete with a sexy outfit to start it off with before they got naked. it was interesting to see what her take would be--how her outfit would crush the last girl who danced to this same damned song and wore something. this (to me) kept johns in their seats, because it was like watching TV where you didn't have to do any work, just watch someone try to entertain you. to me, nothing made you wanna slowly nurse a beer more than a girl slowly dancing to queensryche's "silent lucidity" with a pole, some of her eye contact and the unspoken body language between you two. you don't get that with todays trap and rap music. and i'm not against the genre.

also, with the slow songs back in the day and why it works in strip clubs are the lyrics. that also helped with the fantasy. you got a healthy bad-ass blonde dancing very slowly to cheap trick's "the flame" elaborately, arching her back, slowly whip that hair, you feel the sad lyrics, you feel the lyrics of longing. your imagination takes off. is she single? she dances so good to this song, i wonder what she'll dance to next. i wonder what she'll wear next.

forever etched in my memory is one chick who started off her 3-song set with janet jackon's "would you mind". the song started, she came out of the dressing room slowly. she had on a thong, but also wore a thin hoodie--that covered her face and head. listen to the beginning of that song, and you can imagine a chick slowly, making her way from the dressing room to the stage in the middle of the room, still wearing a dark hoodie like she's a jedi where you can't see her face or head so you're not sure which dancer is coming out. but she has on a thong. you're gonna watch that entire entrance. no way you're leaving. this is what strip clubs are missing when they don't play slow songs.

another memory etched in my head, the first time i saw a chick dance to usher's song "confession". it just came out. she wanted to be the first in the club to dance to it. she killed it too. sometimes where i hear the song, i think of her.

if i owned a strip club, it'd be a must that classic slow songs get it's fair share....
  • gothamyte
    4 years ago
    real quick: to be clear, again that chick that wore that jedi brown hoodie with a thong as janet jackson's song "would you mind came on", she spent half the song just making her entrance from the dressing room way back in the corner and shadows to the stage in the middle of the room. she glided slowly. stopping some points, dancing the whole time. but you couldn't see her face. her hoodie was completely over her head. that janet song blasting through the speakers. as she danced by, people threw money at her. again, she spent half the damn song, making her entrance. listen to the song and you can picture it. and she could dance. but the way she danced, it was like she was the only person in the room. it just made you think. like, she was doing this entrance weather folks tipped her $500 along the way or zero dollars along the way. you just don't get that today. girls just don't do that today. she was doing this to put some artistry to the music. to put some real dance and showmanship into a song. it didn't matter it was in front of a room of mostly broke blue-collar guys.

again, to me, i feel like nobody's gonna walk out when a dancer is in the middle of doing a performance like that. she didn't make her way from the dressing room to the stage in a straight line, either, she was erratic. she went all around the room. so you had to watch.

i'm remembering being in florida on spring break in college and watching a chick on stage dance to aerosmith's "angel" and feeling like it was just her and me in the room.

and i'm not faulting clubs for not playing these types of songs. i'm saying today's artists aren't making these types of songs for clubs to play.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    I also think a large contributing factor is the fact that it is no longer acceptable to take business associates to strip clubs. When I worked for Ford in the 90's the clubs in my area and around Detroit were PACKED with corporate reps and their customers / suppliers...... no more.
    4 years ago
    Absolutely a factor longball. Expense accounts used to be easily used in jiggle joints to the tune of thousands on a visit. Now a visit to Twin Peaks raises eyebrows given the #metoo mentality.

This trend is moving clubs to the darker alleys and shittyer neighborhoods. We need a few good popular movies or respected celebrities to promote clubs in a more wholesome way. Making it couple friendly and small group friendly would go a long way to clubs getting out of the shadows.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    ^ Which has already happened. I think that’s why so many clubs seems to have picked up cues from black urban clubs to incorporate into their own.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion