tuscl

Memorial Day

mark94
Arizona
Monday, May 25, 2020 7:09 AM
Today is the day we remember and honor troops who sacrificed their life in battle. There are plenty of other groups of people worth honoring. Veterans. First responders. Doctors. Nurses. Mothers. Lots of others. But, today should be a time to specifically honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice. There is a good reason that we’ve set aside this day just for them.

11 comments

• gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    +1
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Pray for Peace, that's how you honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice, we owe it to them.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Although many use this day as an excuse to party and get drunk I agree with the above posts.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    "Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops, and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well." - Jennifer M. Granholm “…And if words cannot repay the debt we owe these men, surely with our actions we must strive to keep faith with them and with the vision that led them to battle and to final sacrifice." - Ronald Regan
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Ditto mark94 .
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer, The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here." The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die, I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I: O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ; But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play, O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play. I went into a theatre as sober as could be, They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me; They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls, But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls! For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside "; But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide, O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide. Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap. An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit. Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? " But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll, O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll. We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too, But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you; An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints, Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints; While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind," But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind, O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind. You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all: We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational. Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace. For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! " But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot; An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please; An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees! Tommy—Rudyard Kipling
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Well said
  • SuperFreaky69
    4 years ago
    In Flanders Field In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.
  • SuperFreaky69
    4 years ago
    This poem had always moved me. After visiting France and standing in the poppies, it's even more powerful. Today it brings tears for those who served and have given their lives for my freedoms and liberties.
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway”. - John Wayne Memorial Day is a time to gratefully remember all those souls that never came home after they saddled up to protect their fellow countrymen.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    I went to school in Ontario. We learned that poem in 5th grade, and it has stuck with me for the last 58 years.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion