tuscl

Hong Kong in a wheelchair?

Wheelie
Tennessee
People who have been to Hong Kong, how wheelchair accessible would you say the club is? From what I've read and the few videos I've seen, the club looks to have upper levels that are not accessible. But that's fine if the main floor is accessible. If I could only stay on the main floor, what would I be missing? Also, what about the hotel? I know there's stairs to the hotel, but I've seen other people mention an elevator. Can anyone verify if there's an elevator? For the room itself, are they tiny? Should I get a suite for the extra room?

About me: I'm in a manual wheelchair, so doesn't take up too much space. I'm capable of hopping curbs of around 6 inches if I need to.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

15 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Well - one upside is you can avoid the short taxi-ride from the border to HK

:)
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    The main floor has a ramp at the entrance and one that leads from the front section to the rear. It is usually FILLED with chicas standing there waiting to molest anyone that goes by. Cascadas does have an elevator, but you have to climb a set of stairs to get to either lobby. I think the north elevator actually goes to an area next to the VIP desk in Hong Kong, but I’ve never seen it used. I’d call the hotel and ask about wheelchair access.

As far as rooms go, I don’t know how much space you need, but I’d check to see if any have wheelchair accessible showers. I think the ones I’ve been in did not have a raised threshold, but I don’t know if the entrance was wide enough.
  • TJ Lee
    6 years ago
    It's going to be quite difficult getting around TJ on wheels.
  • PutaTester
    6 years ago
    The alley entrance has an elevator that goes to the street level, but I don't know how accessible it is, because it opens inside the garage/storage area.

Call the hotel or send them email. They have been fairly responsive to my emails.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I’ve spent a lot of time in Mexico and although I’m not familiar with Baja or Tijuana. Getting around Mexico in most areas in a wheelchair would be challenging at best.
  • rane1234
    6 years ago
    I could see myself getting a lot of free action wheeling you around
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    I've seen the north elevator used for a wheelchair. right by the vip courtesy desk. only the main floor has wheel chair access. the only thing that you might miss on the upper levels would possibly the foam show on Thursday Friday and Saturday.
  • Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    MisterWonderful do they do foam shows during the week i am looking forward to it
  • Wheelie
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the replies and messages! Great info. I've emailed the hotel for more info - just waiting on a response. I know it will be challenging - but I'm more independent than a typical wheelchair person. My main criteria is needing a ramp or elevator and a room that has enough space for a wheelchair. I might have to upgrade to a suite - but that's fine. I don't 'need' many items that are found in a US ADA complaint room.

I also have concern about getting from the border to HK. I travel for work. I'm used to jumping into ubers or cabs and instructing the driver to toss my chair into the trunk for me. But the language barrier might be a problem. Will the cab drivers understand enough english to understand my instructions? I have a simple chair. No disassembly required. Just fold it up and toss it into a trunk.
  • JAprufrock
    6 years ago
    Regarding the foam shows, which are spectacular and not be missed, they mainly do those on the first floor, on the back stage, several times every day. I was there once on a Thursday and they also had one going on simultaneously on the second floor right above.
    As long as you can navigate around the first floor in a wheelchair, you'll be set and won't be missing anything on the upper levels that isn't being done on the first floor, as far as I can tell.
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    Every taxi driver I’ve ever used spoke decent English. You could also arrange pick up from thier shuttle, town car, or limo.
  • l00ber
    6 years ago
    Tl;dr. But I have seen this done. Cascadas does have an elevator on the southern entrance (where the garage doors used to be before the remodel) that goes all the way to the ground floor. This is mostly used for the laundry truck.

I have also witnessed 3 meseros carrying a guy in his wheelchair up the stairs at the north entrance to cascadas. I hope they were well tipped afterwards.

So live the dream, brother. Don't let a little detail stop you from making the trip.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    absolutely.
  • TJ Lee
    6 years ago
    Yeah and if you need a little help, feel free to ask some of us here, we could be there on the same days.
  • Wheelie
    6 years ago
    That's good to hear about the taxis! Looks like the elevator would be fine, unless it breaks down while I'm there. In which case, I'd definitely tip the meseros well if they carried me up the stairs. I'm planning on going either in September or October for a Monday and Tuesday. So if anyone is planning a trip around then and wouldn't mind some company, definitely message me!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion